Power Training Newbie Question

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
I'm currently training on a 15 mile flat but rolling route - with gradients of 0-3% up and down for short periods (2 minutes max). I'm attempting to have an average power figure of over 180W for the 45mins (don't laugh, 180 is probably tiny for you guys).

Am I better off trying to keep my current power slightly over 180W for the whole session; or 200+W for the positive gradients while easing off to 150-160W for the negative gradients, allowing my legs to recover slightly?

I'm looking to continuously increase my power in the long run, and I'm doing this on a turbo right now (GPX file import). Is there a more suitable type of training route I should look at?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How are you measuring the power number, and kind of events are you aiming at?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    edited February 2014
    http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2 ... acing.html

Increase the power (not pace - my bad) uphill and back it off slightly on the downhill.
  • cougie wrote:
    http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/03/more-on-pacing.html

Increase the pace uphill and back it off slightly on the downhill.

Thanks for that interesting read, really useful. I actually tried this for the first time this morning and I felt it was easier than the constant effort model, but wanted to check.
    I was previously struggling to keep my power up on long steep descents.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Being able to maintain 180 watts for 45 minutes is very good for a recreational rider weighing about 180 pounds or less.

To increase your speed and power I suggest doing the 15 mile ride once a week as interval training.
    Ride several miles to get warmed-up - about 10 minutes.
    Do 2 minutes HARD, and then 2 minutes EASY to recover. Do this 5x for a total of 20 minutes. Try to set the HARD pace at a level that you achieve for each the 5 segments.
    After the last EASY 2 minutes, increase the pace slightly for the remainder of the ride.

The 5 HARD intervals will increase your strength and your O2 capacity.
    Be sure to allow enough rest and recovery - the intervals are a big physical stress and rest/recovery is needed to 'heal' (and strengthen) from them. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Next day try 2 15-minutes intervals at a pace just slightly above your 'comfort level', with adequate rest between the 1st and 2nd interval. This is mainly to train yourself to be 'faster' for a somewhat extended period.

3rd day, do the ride at an easy / very comfortable pace. This is a ride to rest & recover.

If you then try the HARD intervals and can't achieve the previous pace, you have not recovered enough. Either take a full day off, or another easy ride day.

If you attempt 'too much, too soon' you'll tear yourself down, not improve ....

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • cougie wrote:
    Increase the pace uphill and back it off slightly on the downhill.

You most certainly do not want to increase the pace uphill and backoff on the downhill.

For the OP - power is naturally variable over varied terrain, and will naturally be higher when climbing than when descending. Also, how hard a given power output feels will vary when climbing than when on the flat or descending. It actually feels harder when descending.

How much you should vary your power / effort is then a matter of what it is you are seeking to achieve, but there is no need from a training perspective, nor a pacing one, to ride at a steady power output all the time.
  • JayKosta wrote:
    Being able to maintain 180 watts for 45 minutes is very good for a recreational rider weighing about 180 pounds or less.

To increase your speed and power I suggest doing the 15 mile ride once a week as interval training.
    Ride several miles to get warmed-up - about 10 minutes.
    Do 2 minutes HARD, and then 2 minutes EASY to recover. Do this 5x for a total of 20 minutes. Try to set the HARD pace at a level that you achieve for each the 5 segments.
    After the last EASY 2 minutes, increase the pace slightly for the remainder of the ride.

The 5 HARD intervals will increase your strength and your O2 capacity.
    Be sure to allow enough rest and recovery - the intervals are a big physical stress and rest/recovery is needed to 'heal' (and strengthen) from them. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Next day try 2 15-minutes intervals at a pace just slightly above your 'comfort level', with adequate rest between the 1st and 2nd interval. This is mainly to train yourself to be 'faster' for a somewhat extended period.

3rd day, do the ride at an easy / very comfortable pace. This is a ride to rest & recover.

If you then try the HARD intervals and can't achieve the previous pace, you have not recovered enough. Either take a full day off, or another easy ride day.

If you attempt 'too much, too soon' you'll tear yourself down, not improve ....

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

Thanks Jay, I'll give this a go. I'm only 150lbs/68kg and I'll be 40 this year so you've boosted my morale :)
    The tip about recovery time makes sense as I currently find it hard to improve by doing this hard ride every 2 days, but I then have a good session when I've had 3 or 4 days off. So I'll build in recovery rides to my schedule.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You never did explain how you were measuring the power number...
  • Imposter wrote:
    You never did explain how you were measuring the power number...
    Apologies. I'm using a BKOOL turbo which shows a power reading. If you read the excellent in depth review below, the power figures were 'astoundingly accurate' and within 5% of other power meter readings.
    You can take that with a pinch of salt but I'm using it as a comparison for MY sessions to track improvements, so I'm not too interested in its accuracy tbh:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/bkoo ... eview.html