Time for another FTP test. Best way.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
It's four weeks since I started using my turbo and I have been using it several times a week in addition to road riding when it hasn't been hissing with rain.

As it's the first time I have done anything like this I think I have been making good progress.

When should I do another FTP test? It's not like I am finding the workouts easy or anything, but is have nothing to compare to so I am not sure.

And, if I do a retest what is your approach? Do I wind up the percentage to say 105 and try to hold that, or 110 or whatever?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You should test your FTP in whatever way you did it previously - otherwise, you will have nothing to compare...
  • Imposter wrote:
    You should test your FTP in whatever way you did it previously - otherwise, you will have nothing to compare...
    Not sure I explained properly. Of course I will do it the same way.

The issue with trainer road though is that you have a target power to try to attain. The FTP is calculated from what you actually achieve.

Last time I set it to 200. Maintained close to that. So FTP is 178.
    Thus time I could just leave it at 200 and "try to do more" but it's better I think to have a nominal amount to aim for.
    Or is it too soon for a retest.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    littledove,

The 200w is really just a default. It is no indication of wjhat you may/maynot achieve.

Was the 190-200 you acheived all out - i.e. you're best 20 min effort?

If so then the 178 is probably reasonable. When you test next will depend on how trained you were & how much training you are doing?

NB 'Testing is training', so no harm doing a test.

WRT what to aim for - assuming you hit 200w Avg for the 20 mins a month ago, and this was your best, then try say, 210w-220w. But assess as you go, so if after 10 mins this feels comfortable, then increase slightly for the remainder.
    Rich
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    TrainerRoad sets the 20 Minute test based off your existing FTP.

Each time you ride it, if you ride perfectly to target in the 20 Min Interval you will ride at almost 107% of your FTP. This will yield an improvement of your FTP of about 1.5-2%.

So ride the interval on the line for 10 mins, it will be pretty close to perfect pacing for you, then lift it maybe 5W every minute after half way and stop if you think you won't make it to the end.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:
    TrainerRoad sets the 20 Minute test based off your existing FTP.

Each time you ride it, if you ride perfectly to target in the 20 Min Interval you will ride at almost 107% of your FTP. This will yield an improvement of your FTP of about 1.5-2%.

So ride the interval on the line for 10 mins, it will be pretty close to perfect pacing for you, then lift it maybe 5W every minute after half way and stop if you think you won't make it to the end.
    Thanks. I will give that a go. As the man said, testing is training.

I did load up the test, which I hadn't done before, and I see TR has raised the bar a little as you said.