Making the most of my short commute

andy_s_t
andy_s_t Posts: 106
I currently don't really get time to get out at the weekend so I have been looking at ways to get the most out of my short (13k) commute to work. The idea it to drop some weight and generally just get more bike fit. I am looking to do another 3 Sportives this year, so hopefully it'll help me on those to.

My current plan below, what do you think?

Monday.........AM...Threshold......20 mins at 158-167bpm - Zone 4
..................... PM...Endurance....45-50 mins at 121-140bpm - Zone 2
Tuesday........AM...Threshold......20 mins at 158-167bpm - Zone 4
......................PM...Interval..........4 mins at High Intensity, 3 mins Recovery X3
Wednesday....AM...Recovery.......HR as low as pos
......................PM...Recovery.......HR as low as pos
Thursday.......AM...Hill.................3 Min Climb, 3 Min Recovery/Descent, 3 Min Climb, back to route
......................PM...Endurance.....45-50 mins at 121-140bpm - Zone 2
Friday............AM...Threshold......20 mins at 158-167bpm - Zone 4
......................PM...Endurance.....45-50 mins at 121-140bpm - Zone 2

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    All seems very complicated. I would just spin it on the way to work, and nail it on the way home.
  • ^^^^ +1

Just ride as hard as you can as often as you can, then go a bit slower to recover and rest when you feel your body needs it.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    What time do you get up for your commute? Could you get up earlier.

Part of my training programme includes 1 and half hour tempo sessions. I do these before work, getting up at 6:00am and setting off at 7:00am.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I think your plan for a variety of training seems sensible. Just make sure you are generally working hard, with a mix of short and long intervals.

If your doing 45 mins 10 x week then you are still riding a reasonable amount of time, but if sportives are your goal then you'll need longer, more comparable training rides sooner rather than later.