Different cassette replacement

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I looked online but it wasn't on the bikeradar website, etc. basically I'm going to replace my 9 speed cassette from a 11-32 to a 11-34 because it is worn and I know how, but the 11-34 is the only spare one I have, and as I have never changed the cassette to a different kind, ( I have always kept the same range), do you have to adjust the derailleur to compensate for the larger 34t cog or not? They are both 9 speed cassettes btw.

Comments

• Yes, the b screw.
  • Cqc
    Is it essential though, or will it work without changing it?
  • It may or may not, won't work optimally. Learn by reading park tools. It'll likely be a turn or two in.
  • Cqc
    I did read park tools, and it does seem to have enough clearance, thank to for your help. Whilst it is obvious what happens when the cage is too close to the cogs, though, what would the problem be with having it too far away out of interest?
  • Slower changes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll need to sort the chain length as it may need lengthening with an extra pair of links or may not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.