Rapha and Ullrich

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    Dopers still revered in baseball's Hall of Fame. You have to commit a massacre to get thrown off that.
    Or gamble on games. (See Pete Rose - the best player not in the Hall of Fame)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Joelsim wrote:
    TBH cycling is the only sport where ex-dopers are still revered. Except LA now.

Not that I begrudge that if everyone was doing it. Sad tho, that it's like that. Even LA had no other choice than to do what he did after his first couple of wins, he could hardly own up. Bullying aside.
    Christine Ohuruogu was today named Sportswoman of the Year.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    Christine Ohuruogu was today named Sportswoman of the Year.
    To be fair to her, there's never really been anything to say she dopes. Maybe she does, but alternatively maybe she's just disorganised. At the time it seemed that British Athletics hadn't really drilled into it's competitors the importance of ADAMS.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,832
    guinea wrote:
    I like Ulrich, but I wouldn't want my company associated with him any more than Lance Armstrong.

The hypocrisy of the cycling community is daft.

Even Betsy Andreu can't understand why Pantani was idolised while Armstrong was vilified.

Come on. I hated Lance from 99 onwards.

Anglophone fans often think the only reason people hate Armstrong is the juice. Not true.

He was the perfect villain. Disdain for tradition, brash, arrogant, dominating, boring etc.

Ulrich was his main rival. Also came across as more interesting, emotionally more fragile etc.

Nothing to do with doping.
  • guinea wrote:
    I like Ulrich, but I wouldn't want my company associated with him any more than Lance Armstrong.

The hypocrisy of the cycling community is daft.

Even Betsy Andreu can't understand why Pantani was idolised while Armstrong was vilified.

Come on. I hated Lance from 99 onwards.

Anglophone fans often think the only reason people hate Armstrong is the juice. Not true.

He was the perfect villain. Disdain for tradition, brash, arrogant, dominating, boring etc.

Ulrich was his main rival. Also came across as more interesting, emotionally more fragile etc.

Nothing to do with doping.

He also ate more pies during the off season which gave him a quality that most of us can relate to.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,132
    This ^ alone makes him the ideal brand ambassador for Rapha, given their core demographic.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    andyp wrote:
    This ^ alone makes him the ideal brand ambassador for Rapha, given their core demographic.

Maybe a Greggs-Rapha sponsorship deal is in order? Wouldn't be a bad idea for a team either, the kit would be interesting.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    andyp wrote:

Oooooo...what a cat. But still funny. :D
  • Right. So thanks to our very own BR news page, here's the real story:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... kit-39208/

Big Jan likes Rapha kit, gets some, posts up pics on his website, calling Rapha his 'new partner'. Shoddy lazy journos over at Cyclingnews etc cant be bothered to do their basic job and check facts, and creates a story claiming that Rapha have lined up Jan as their new 'brand ambassador'

Cue pulled story...
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Right. So thanks to our very own BR news page, here's the real story:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... kit-39208/

Big Jan likes Rapha kit, gets some, posts up pics on his website, calling Rapha his 'new partner'. Shoddy lazy journos over at Cyclingnews etc cant be bothered to do their basic job and check facts, and creates a story claiming that Rapha have lined up Jan as their new 'brand ambassador'

Cue pulled story...

Pah, you're such a spoilsport RR! :wink:
  • ^Soz, Luther

:(:)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    That's a shame. Jan is no fool, black is very flattering to the fuller figure. :D