Rapha and Ullrich

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Must need some cash. No other reason for him to cave in otherwise.

http://www.janullrich.de/en/newsi.php?newsid=4

Sad times.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I like Ulrich, but I wouldn't want my company associated with him any more than Lance Armstrong.

The hypocrisy of the cycling community is daft.

Even Betsy Andreu can't understand why Pantani was idolised while Armstrong was vilified.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    guinea wrote:
    I like Ulrich, but I wouldn't want my company associated with him any more than Lance Armstrong.

Even Betsy Andreu can't understand why Pantani was idolised while Armstrong was vilified.

Possibly because, as far as I am aware, Pantani was a nice man, humble and modest. He also gave huge amounts of his fortune to charity without advertising the fact. I believe he said when questioned about it "Good work should be done quietly". None of the above are phrases that could be used about Lance.

With Pantani I could despise the cheating but still like the man. Even if Armstrong had never been found to be a cheat I could never like or admire the personality. Lance made his bed now he is lying in it.
  • mike6 wrote:
    guinea wrote:

Possibly because, as far as I am aware, Pantani was a nice man, humble and modest. He also gave huge amounts of his fortune to charity without advertising the fact. I believe he said when questioned about it "Good work should be done quietly". None of the above are phrases that could be used about Lance.

With Pantani I could despise the cheating but still like the man. Even if Armstrong had never been found to be a cheat I could never like or admire the personality. Lance made his bed now he is lying in it.

Change the record, I'm sick of ABBA (Anyone But Bloody Armstrong) ...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    With guinea here - all three are dirty cheating dopers and have f**k all place in cycling. To say different about any one of them is just hypocrisy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    With guinea here - all three are dirty cheating dopers and have f**k all place in cycling. To say different about any one of them is just hypocrisy...

what about Voigt, Cancellara and basically anyone who did anything in cycling pre 05. Doping is the way it was but it doesn't mean they all have to be classed at tw@ts as i am sure some weren't but from what i have read and seen Armstrong was/is an A class tool
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Becasue they haven't (yet) been caught/admitted yet - although I'm struggling with Jens a bit I do confess...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What I dislike mainly about LA is that he is a sociopath (or does an excellent impression of one).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    I believe he said when questioned about it "Good work should be done quietly"

Reminds me of something Bartali said:

“If you’re good at a sport, they attach medals to your shirts and then they shine in some museum. That which is earned by doing good deeds is attached to the soul and shines elsewhere.“
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I like Jan. I don't care that he doped, they all did it.
    I do wish though that Rapha would try and design something that looks less middle age man riding a sportive look or bearded hipster riding a fixed wheeled beast.

They should do a Cipo line :lol:

:http://www.velominati.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/232.jpg
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    archiv_2.jpg

Interesting definition of fair play.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    nic_77 wrote:
    archiv_2.jpg

I thought he waited?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    guinea wrote:

A pig's a filthy animal but a dog has personality, personality goes a long way :wink:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Pross wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    archiv_2.jpg

I thought he waited?
    He did... I was alluding to other digressions.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Has he dyed his hair? He looks a lot less ginger now
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    LutherB wrote:
    I believe he said when questioned about it "Good work should be done quietly"

Reminds me of something Bartali said:

“If you’re good at a sport, they attach medals to your shirts and then they shine in some museum. That which is earned by doing good deeds is attached to the soul and shines elsewhere.“

I have no time for any religion, but that is a beautiful quote. :)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    mike6 wrote:
    guinea wrote:

Given the seemingly systemic support for Armstrong during that period, it makes you wonder how much the authorities wanted Pantani out of the way. With Lance's political machinations behind the scenes together with his public bullying/baiting of Pantani in 2000 it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth given Marco's mental fragility at the time.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2013
    phreak wrote:
    Given the seemingly systemic support for Armstrong during that period, it makes you wonder how much the authorities wanted Pantani out of the way. With Lance's political machinations behind the scenes together with his public bullying/baiting of Pantani in 2000 it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth given Marco's mental fragility at the time.

Not making excuses but fact is that Pantani had massive fragilities, no doubt about it. And many people played on them and made a shoot load of money off the back of them - and some of them still making money from the sport.

The images of him being thrown to the wolves at the hotel during the '99 Giro...I still find shocking...

EDIT:

Phreak, if you could get Matt Rendell on the subject some time...the process of writing his book gave him a fair idea of who was up to what in the way of machinations.
  • rayjay
    phreak wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    guinea wrote:

So you are blaming Armstrong for Pantani's death :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did Pantani leave a nasty taste in your mouth when he was winning the tour and doping himself up to the eyeballs on his way to victories.

Armstrong bad doper/ murderer :lol::lol::lol:

Pantani good doper :lol::lol::lol:

Jan Ulrich ex doper looking smart in Rapha but also not a murderer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Next we ask " Did Armstrong supply Nigella Lawson with cocaine" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • another a45e on the filter...hey ho
  • rayjay wrote:
    Next we ask " Did Armstrong supply Nigella Lawson with cocaine" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Let's not be silly, he got one of his mules to do it....
  • rayjay wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    guinea wrote:

So you are blaming Armstrong for Pantani's death :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did Pantani leave a nasty taste in your mouth when he was winning the tour and doping himself up to the eyeballs on his way to victories.

Armstrong bad doper/ murderer :lol::lol::lol:

Pantani good doper :lol::lol::lol:

Jan Ulrich ex doper looking smart in Rapha but also not a murderer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bit heavy on the emoticons but the content sums it up perfectly (maybe not the last bit) ...

Folks forget it was Pantani doing all the trash talking, Armstrong just decided to give him enough rope to hang himself with ... (Un?)Fortunately Pantani was too goofed up to tie the noose properly so we got another year or so's entertainment out of it ...
  • rayjay
    How do you go from talking about Rapha and Jan and end up with someone blaming Armstrong for Pantani's death.

I was going for a ride but the wind is crazy at moment.

Sorry Crank, I can't resist those little happy faces. :lol:

I will take heed and resist the OTT use in future. Nice one
  • rayjay wrote:
    How do you go from talking about Rapha and Jan and end up with someone blaming Armstrong for Pantani's death.

Celebrated doper ... Then just leave the ABBA crowd to join in whatever dots they choose ... It always gets there in the end ...
  • rayjay
    Well I reckon the ABBA fans should listen to the actual Abba.
    Who can forget such classics, such as the haunting melodies of Fernando or the upbeat good time feel of Mama mia or what about that brooding classic about the downfall of Napoleon ,Waterloo.
    Lets not forget the edgy tune about public finances Money Money Money.

What a band.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    rayjay wrote:
    Well I reckon the ABBA fans should listen to the actual Abba.
    Who can forget such classics, such as the haunting melodies of Fernando or the upbeat good time feel of Mama mia or what about that brooding classic about the downfall of Napoleon ,Waterloo.
    Lets not forget the edgy tune about public finances Money Money Money.

What a band.
    For my money, ABBA's best song is The Visitors, which could quite easily be interpreted as the experiences of a doper being visited for an out of competition test.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rayjay
    What about the The winner take's it all. The made up story of how that song came about is that Abba song writer Bjorn bumped into a very young Lance Armstrong while on Holiday in Cornwall and he
    quickly dashed back to his caravan to get it down on cassette.

It's still to windy to ride.
  • And "He is your brother" is clearly about the Schlecks.
  • That CN piece yday about this supposed deal, got pulled. No other site carried anything on it, right? Hmmm...Something smells about this (and i dont mean a month-old slice of Mutter's sacher torte overlooked by Jan in his jersey pocket)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    TBH cycling is the only sport where ex-dopers are still revered. Except LA now.

Not that I begrudge that if everyone was doing it. Sad tho, that it's like that. Even LA had no other choice than to do what he did after his first couple of wins, he could hardly own up. Bullying aside.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    TBH cycling is the only sport where ex-dopers are still revered. Except LA now.

Not that I begrudge that if everyone was doing it. Sad tho, that it's like that. Even LA had no other choice than to do what he did after his first couple of wins, he could hardly own up. Bullying aside.

Disagree. Seems players who've been done for doping still remain heroes to MLB fans. They want them back on the pitch playing for their teams as soon as their ludicrous jokes of bans are done. Dopers still revered in baseball's Hall of Fame. You have to commit a massacre to get thrown off that.