ASSOS

2»

Comments

• It's already out.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I don't think so, try buying a pair. First sales are on 13 Dec. I have been invited to a launch event at my local Assos Pro Shop.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Last about two years in the New Zealand sun
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Mine and everybody that I know who has Assos shorts have gone grey. And then they go transparent at the back and reveal your ars* crack. Ride in any sportif and nearly all the transparent shorts are Assos. For that money Rapha classic are better.

I think this is only if you don't take care of them and don't wash them properly. My Uno S5s are 4 seasons old and have been worn and hand washed hundreds of times (with non bio detergent or Assos cleaner) and looked as good as new. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I mistakenly put them in the washing machine on a 40degC wash with biological detergent and the fabric has noticeably lightened with just a single wash.

You have to look after them.
    Short 15 min gentle machine wash with non bio detergent. Hand washing is not an option.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    I don't think so, try buying a pair. First sales are on 13 Dec. I have been invited to a launch event at my local Assos Pro Shop.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ssozbbs380
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    Mine and everybody that I know who has Assos shorts have gone grey. And then they go transparent at the back and reveal your ars* crack. Ride in any sportif and nearly all the transparent shorts are Assos. For that money Rapha classic are better.

I think this is only if you don't take care of them and don't wash them properly. My Uno S5s are 4 seasons old and have been worn and hand washed hundreds of times (with non bio detergent or Assos cleaner) and looked as good as new. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I mistakenly put them in the washing machine on a 40degC wash with biological detergent and the fabric has noticeably lightened with just a single wash.

Short 15 min gentle machine wash with non bio detergent. Hand washing is not an option.
    That's how I do mine. 30 degrees. Absolutely fine
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    edited November 2013
    Ah, i can't buy them anywhere in switzerland yet, even from assos. Not that i will be buying any yet.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    According to the press release I have, Assos think we need a pair of each of the 4 models of S7 as we don't have champagne and foie gras every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Interestingly, the book also features their new range of national jersies and the Italian and German ones look nice. The UK one has too much Union Flag on it for me but will prob look great on a Euro sportive in the sun.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    robbo2011 wrote:

That's how I do mine. 30 degrees. Absolutely fine

Liquid soap or a solution of Grannys Soap Flakes from Home Bargains on a 30 deg hand wash or 40 deg quick delicates wash works for me and we have £100s worth of Assos/Rapha shorts (my gf cyles as well) and they always come up ok. Lycra hates sunlight that's one of the reasons it fades as is using bio-wash which has enzymes in it
    M.Rushton
  • mcdonji1
    mcdonji1 Posts: 121
    I was out recently and was pondering the value of ASSOS gear. I bought my first pair bib shorts some time ago and it was after a lottery win-and I still had to put money towards the purchase ( OK it was a only a £60 win). I can place the time of this exactly as it happened on a significant birthday for my wife- yes I win lottery on her birthday and I buy myself a pair bib shorts.
    This makes my first ASSOS purchase over 18 years old, a wee bit faded but still very serviceable. My conclusion is that the yearly cost has been less than a fiver.

Jim
    Kind words butter no parsnips.
  • Assos 'Uno' shorts are rubbish, and for the quality you get should be about a third of the price. I bought a pair last year and always washed them on a quick cycle at 30 degree using non-bio liquid and they have now faded down to a dark grey. The material is nowhere near the quality of by old 'ProsLine' shorts and the pad is like a nappy to sit on. Worst shorts I have ever had. Saying that they should only be hand washed is simply proof of how poor the quality of the lycra is.

My old Prosline shorts still look good after ten years but Assos no longer makes anything that comes near to their quality. That said, the T-Pro short with the S2 insert is not bad. I have 2 pairs of these and so far they are holding up quite well.

I used to love Assos kit, other than the 'Climaguard' rain jacket that I was once foolish enough to buy which leaked like a sieve (not even having taped seams) was terribly cut and made me sweat. However, now the bean counters and marketing men have taken over, outsourcing production to low-wage economies and so forth, there are better options out there.

From now on Assos can kiss my 'Ku Ku penthouse'. :roll:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • robbo2011 wrote:

I think this is only if you don't take care of them and don't wash them properly.

Odd how my year old Unos have faded, just as robbo notes, whilst my old ProsLine ones that have been washed hundreds of times more in exactly the same way still look fine.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    I really rate my Assos shorts and prefer the Mille to the Uno, but thats just me