Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

ASSOS

daveyruthersdaveyruthers Posts: 129
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Are Assos bib shorts worth the money or are they just for posh folks? Can't help wondering if DHB's top one will be just as good.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

David
Bianchi Via Nirone
Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
«1

Posts

  • Are Assos bib shorts worth the money or are they just for posh folks? Can't help wondering if DHB's top one will be just as good.

    Any thoughts appreciated.

    Thanks

    David

    Yes
    No
    Not even close
  • sungodsungod Posts: 14,348
    Are Assos bib shorts worth the money or are they just for posh folks?<...>

    not just for the posh, alan sugar wears them :)

    you pay for attention to detail, possibly exotic fabrics, overall design, and if you damage them there's a fair chance assos will repair for free

    they may be comfier, perhaps a lot comfier, especially on long rides

    tbh if you can easily afford them and like the style, personally i prefer castelli for my posh shorts, then no reason not to buy assos shorts, but if the cost is not so easy then i'd happily ride cheaper ones, i also have some nice prendas shorts
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • derosaderosa Posts: 2,819
    Are Assos bib shorts worth the money or are they just for posh folks? Can't help wondering if DHB's top one will be just as good.

    Any thoughts appreciated.

    Thanks

    David

    Yes
    No
    Not even close

    Agree - you get what you pay for.

    Big H

    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • indypindyp Posts: 735
    The Assos shorts are overpriced and overhyped, and you'll find that Dhb Pro aren't that far off. The Assos Uno fabric feels nicer against the skin when you put them on but when on the bike you don't feel it. If you can get the dhb for a lot cheaper then I'd suggest getting them.
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    indyP wrote:
    The Assos shorts are overpriced and overhyped, and you'll find that Dhb Pro aren't that far off. The Assos Uno fabric feels nicer against the skin when you put them on but when on the bike you don't feel it. If you can get the dhb for a lot cheaper then I'd suggest getting them.


    DHB bibs/tights don't even come close to Assos or the top offerings from Mavic or Craft IME. DHB is good for the price and even that is becoming less of a selling point as the price is going up every time a new range is launched. Their 'high end' pads are mid range Cytech offerings.

    OP, Assos kit is generally great. You get what you pay for and there's another bonus - a crash/damage repair service, so if the worst should happen you can get them repaired for the price of return postage.

    Lots of discount codes around this w'end from all the big online shops, get the Assos and you won't regret it. Size chart is spot on, just go on the height and you'll be fine.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:
    indyP wrote:
    The Assos shorts are overpriced and overhyped, and you'll find that Dhb Pro aren't that far off. The Assos Uno fabric feels nicer against the skin when you put them on but when on the bike you don't feel it. If you can get the dhb for a lot cheaper then I'd suggest getting them.


    DHB bibs/tights don't even come close to Assos or the top offerings from Mavic or Craft IME. DHB is good for the price and even that is becoming less of a selling point as the price is going up every time a new range is launched. Their 'high end' pads are mid range Cytech offerings.

    OP, Assos kit is generally great. You get what you pay for and there's another bonus - a crash/damage repair service, so if the worst should happen you can get them repaired for the price of return postage.

    Lots of discount codes around this w'end from all the big online shops, get the Assos and you won't regret it. Size chart is spot on, just go on the height and you'll be fine.

    EDIT: Take a look here too:

    http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts.html

    Pro bib shorts with the S2 insert for £90.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    I've all types of shorts - sure Assos are well made and will last - but I cant tell the difference between them and my DHB or even knock off Chinese shorts when I'm cycling. Maybe I'm not sensitive.
  • Jim CJim C Posts: 333
    For long distance comfort, Assos are superb. I've never regretted paying the extra. on a 1200k audax or even a 300k, a sore backside would be a major pain- literally. This may not apply to you.
    I wouldn't use new ones on the track or for cyclo cross tho

    I use DHB for committing and training- that's about their limit for me
    jc
  • YIManYIMan Posts: 576
    I have both Assos and DHB shorts. The Assos shorts are a sight comfier - you do get what you pay for in my opinion, not that the DHB are bad. Like others have said, if I was going out for a long ride I'd choose the Assos over the DHBs every time.
  • Come on, who doesn't want to park their fella in a ku ku penthouse?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,878
    You won't find many brands coming close to the quality and fit of Assos, whether it be shorts, jerseys or jackets. You have to look at it as an investment, cos in most cases, they outlast cheaper makes, by far.
  • Ok so it sounds like they are worth the money. Anyone know where you can get them a little cheaper?
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • dowtchadowtcha Posts: 440
    They are 116 on wiggle, keep a lookout for money off when you spend a certain amount. A couple of months ago they had 40 off when you spend over 200, I bought 2 pairs of assos uno`s. I have a pair of dhb pro which were OK for a while but then the pad became compressed and uncomfortable while my year old assos are perfect. Save yourself some money and buy the assos.
  • I have a pair of DBH pro for wearing underneath stuff on MTB trips.

    The elastic leg grippers have hundreds of little elastic protrusions. You'd never see that with assos
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • BozmanBozman Posts: 2,518
    Hijacking the post.
    How long to Assos bibs last? I can gather that the stitching and material are top notch, but how long would you expect to get out of the pad if you cycle around 7500 miles a year.
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Bozman wrote:
    Hijacking the post.
    How long to Assos bibs last? I can gather that the stitching and material are top notch, but how long would you expect to get out of the pad if you cycle around 7500 miles a year.

    I do about the same mileage and alternate between two pairs of Uno's and they both look as good as new. No obvious signs of wear and the usual shiny patches where they've been rubbing on the saddle. I've had one pair around 18 months and the other pair a little newer, say 14 months. The pad is still nice and plush, no bobbling and no rough patches. I do always wash mine in the mesh bag, which I dare say helps.

    I dare say there's happy customers with pairs of 2+ years older.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • BozmanBozman Posts: 2,518
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    Hijacking the post.
    How long to Assos bibs last? I can gather that the stitching and material are top notch, but how long would you expect to get out of the pad if you cycle around 7500 miles a year.

    I do about the same mileage and alternate between two pairs of Uno's and they both look as good as new. No obvious signs of wear and the usual shiny patches where they've been rubbing on the saddle. I've had one pair around 18 months and the other pair a little newer, say 14 months. The pad is still nice and plush, no bobbling and no rough patches. I do always wash mine in the mesh bag, which I dare say helps.

    I dare say there's happy customers with pairs of 2+ years older.

    Cheers, I've been getting through two pairs of DHB pro within a year, if I get them at sale it's roughly £100 for the two while I'd be looking at £250 for two pairs of Assos. I'm looking at taking the plunge but I was wondering just how economical it'd be.
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Hand wash them with the assos detergent and they'll last forever.

    Don't machine wash them with bio detergents, even once. I did it with a pair and they have faded noticeably, even after one wash.
  • fish156fish156 Posts: 496
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Hand wash them with the assos detergent and they'll last forever.

    Don't machine wash them with bio detergents, even once. I did it with a pair and they have faded noticeably, even after one wash.

    Life's too short. Stick 'em in the washing machine (in the bag they provide) with everything else (non-bio). I get around 3 years out of a pair of Assos shorts wearing them and washing them once or twice a week. (I've 3 pairs of Assos shorts.)
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Life is not too short if you want them to stay looking good.
  • Omar LittleOmar Little Posts: 2,010
    They are worth the money, the Milles are my favourite but the s2 ones are good too and at £90 a fair bit cheaper.

    I used to really like DHB as a good value option but the quality of their shorts has gone downhill drastically in the last couple of years. The padding (particularly at the front) is very thin and the lycra gets a shine to it pretty quick. Wore / washed less than 10 times before having to relegate them to wearing under the baggies when on my mountain bike. Took 100+ wash cycles for my first pair of Assos Mille to get to a similar state of censored crack visibility.
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,878
    It really depends which insert suits your ar$e, the S2 (my choice) or the S5. Oh and the S7 is on it's way ...
  • on-yer-bikeon-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Mine and everybody that I know who has Assos shorts have gone grey. And then they go transparent at the back and reveal your censored crack. Ride in any sportif and nearly all the transparent shorts are Assos. For that money Rapha classic are better.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • GGBikerGGBiker Posts: 450
    I usually wear small in shorts, 173cm and 64kg weight, fairly slim build. Assos recommend a medium for 170-179cm height, any one have any experience of this, don't want them hanging off me?
  • GGBiker wrote:
    I usually wear small in shorts, 173cm and 64kg weight, fairly slim build. Assos recommend a medium for 170-179cm height, any one have any experience of this, don't want them hanging off me?

    I'm pretty much the same build as you GGBiker and I wear a medium in Assos (Uno's and t607 thermal bibs). I wear a small in Rapha and Giordana.
  • Re bibs going grey - I'm still wearing Uno's bought in early 2011 and they seen thousands of miles and countless washes - still black, no bobbling and they're definitely not see through in ar$e.
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Mine and everybody that I know who has Assos shorts have gone grey. And then they go transparent at the back and reveal your ars* crack. Ride in any sportif and nearly all the transparent shorts are Assos. For that money Rapha classic are better.

    I think this is only if you don't take care of them and don't wash them properly. My Uno S5s are 4 seasons old and have been worn and hand washed hundreds of times (with non bio detergent or Assos cleaner) and looked as good as new. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I mistakenly put them in the washing machine on a 40degC wash with biological detergent and the fabric has noticeably lightened with just a single wash.

    You have to look after them.
  • Mine and everybody that I know who has Assos shorts have gone grey. And then they go transparent at the back and reveal your ars* crack. Ride in any sportif and nearly all the transparent shorts are Assos. For that money Rapha classic are better.

    Hi there

    I'm censored . We clearly haven't met :)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • GGBikerGGBiker Posts: 450
    GGBiker wrote:
    I usually wear small in shorts, 173cm and 64kg weight, fairly slim build. Assos recommend a medium for 170-179cm height, any one have any experience of this, don't want them hanging off me?

    I'm pretty much the same build as you GGBiker and I wear a medium in Assos (Uno's and t607 thermal bibs). I wear a small in Rapha and Giordana.

    Thanks got an offer through today from wiggle, can get the uno s5 shorts for £90.
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I would wait a bit, the S7 range is being launched on 13th Dec, might be some good deals on the S5 shorts soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.