That there Londinium

13»

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    No 'normal' people talk to me on the Tube, only the abnormal/pissed/high etc.

A friend says I seem to attract weirdos. I asked him what that says about him.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Listen now you non London folks its is strictly against the rules to talk to fellow Londoners, you may offer directions to tourists or occasionally provide the time if asked and you can be bothered but any kind of social acknowledge of another UK esp London citizen is STRICTLY forbidden under rule 1 article 1 of the London law.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    Listen now you non London folks its is strictly against the rules to talk to fellow Londoners, you may offer directions to tourists or occasionally provide the time if asked and you can be bothered but any kind of social acknowledge of another UK esp London citizen is STRICTLY forbidden under rule 1 article 1 of the London law.

Just to clarify, when 'helping' tourists, you do not offer the correct directions or the correct time.
    E.g. "Take the Pickalydickaly line to Liverpool Street. Your train leaves at quarter past blue."

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just to clarify, when 'helping' tourists, you do not offer the correct directions or the correct time.
    E.g. "Take the Pickalydickaly line to Liverpool Street. Your train leaves at quarter past blue."
    Yup!
    Thats pretty much been my experience of how it works.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    heck, I dont even like it when Mrs Toe talks to me.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aah you want piccalilli ... You buy in yellow jar from supermarket over there...
  • I don't think I saw a single Police/Community Support Officer on the way in this morning. This appears to coincide with a change of front page headlines ... ?
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • I was once asked directions to the Monument by a pair of German tourists, whilst walking towards London Bridge. Without a word, I simply pointed to my left at the large Monument that was plainly visible, and carried on my way.
  • EKE_38BPM
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I don't think I saw a single Police/Community Support Officer on the way in this morning. This appears to coincide with a change of front page headlines ... ?
    +1 Not one today, loads on Monday and Tuesday.
    I was once asked directions to the Monument by a pair of German tourists, whilst walking towards London Bridge. Without a word, I simply pointed to my left at the large Monument that was plainly visible, and carried on my way.

You have to remember that to someone from a city which has very few old buildings (thank you, Bomber Command) they may not be able to see the wood for the trees.
    I was in Florida and some locals were in wonder at a building that was 120 years old!

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I don't think I saw a single Police/Community Support Officer on the way in this morning. This appears to coincide with a change of front page headlines ... ?

I wonder if this coincides with a change of front page headlines ...
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

What has Nigella got to do with anything?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

What has Nigella got to do with anything?

No dead cyclists this week, focus shifts to celebrity chef drug scandal and the met head back to warmer confines?
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    There was a plod standing at the northern end of london bridge this morning, amazing how motorbikes stay out of the ASL isn't it?

Anyways, he looked miserable so i asked him if he was having a good day, he said that he was fed up with being given abuse when he offered 'safety advice'. Then rather patronisingly asked me how much noise headphones blocked out, i wasn't wearing any so i asked him how many of the people crushed to death by lorries had been wearing them. He said he didn't know, I intimated that maybe they weren't the problem and we went our separate ways. Have to hand it to TFL though, they've managed to make something irrelevant the focus of attention rather than the shocking nature of the infrastructure.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    When I was in my late teens, a very long time ago, I was asked for directions by a couple of Italian girls along the Kings Road. As I was answering one, the other was telling her, in Italian, to ask my name and where I lived. Once I'd finished giving directions to the first I answered the other girls questions in Italian. Strangely enough they looked incredibly embarrassed and beat a hasty retreat.
  • Years ago - I was walking down Stapenhill Road (suburb of Burton on Trent) when a car pulled up and this guy asked me directions to Stapenhill Road.

Me: "Stick your head out of the window"
    Him: sticks head out of window
    Me: "Look down"
    Him: looks down
    Me "Tada!"
    Him: <incoherent muttering>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Years ago - I was walking down Stapenhill Road (suburb of Burton on Trent) when a car pulled up and this guy asked me directions to Stapenhill Road.

Me: "Stick your head out of the window"
    Him: sticks head out of window
    Me: "Look down"
    Him: looks down
    Me "Tada!"
    Him: <incoherent muttering>
    I love the way even "Local" radio pronounce "Stapenhill" and "Tatenhill" as though they'er broadcasting from Buckinghamshire! :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

this is good sound Londoner advice ^

When i first moved to the country a stranger in the street started talking to me, like i knew them, the same thing happened in the supermarket, of course I just pretended they were talking to someone else even though no one else was present ....this is the way of the big smoke and so it shall always be.

I've found the same to be true in NY apart from this Jan when I was exiting a department store with my youngest daughter via one of those stupidly small revolving doors when this nutter squeezes in with us in a space that was only big enough for me let alone my daughter.

So outside in the street I sort of broke the rules by talking to said nut job, and asked him in my best London tourist / prince Phillip the ambassador "what the fuck are you doing, you prick!"

his (i've just escaped from the nut house) reply "that's how we roll in NY" - to which I added, what the fuck you nut job.

this is an acceptable capital city transatlantic exchange conversation, at no point did either of us break the ruleZ

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.