That there Londinium

Comments

• johngti wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    to KB, welcome to the big smoke. you should have at least grabbed a Boris bike and chanced yer arm. Cycle in Lahndahhhhnnn for a while and you will find yourself redefining the notion of a close pass.

Oh I think I know all about them:

http://youtu.be/V9a_D-B6hFw

Only when you're in the countryside they're generally doing over 50....

Did you get anywhere with the complaint? That was a bit too close :-|

Yarp - all handled very well :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Nice account from the op... Makes me want to try it..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So lets get this straight, you visited the ancestral home of SCR, the cradle of human civilization "London" and yet you completely FAILED to visit the Morpeth, no more than a few miles from your location

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    So lets get this straight, you visited the ancestral home of SCR, the cradle of human civilization "London" and yet you completely FAILED to visit the Morpeth, no more than a few miles from your location

:roll:

and how the bloody blinking flip was I meant to know that? It's not like I read... this... forum...all...

Shiiiiiit......

Mind you after watching the London lunacy it did make me smile tonight when I pulled up alongside a car at a t-junction on the way home, knocked on his passenger window to let the guy know his off-side rear light wasn't working. Got a big thank you, after which a friendly white van man let us both pull out of the junction :D

Try THAT in London. You'd get shot/beaten/stabbed/swore at/ridiculed/run over and that's by the Police.

Oh, and just what does FAAAAAAAAKKKK ORRRRRFFFFFF UUUUU WAAAAAAHHHHNNNKKKKAAAAA actually mean? Heard THAT loads :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Koncordski wrote:
    Next time you come down, we'll lend you a spare and you can get on the racetrack. Just be careful, Taxi's have the same mass as a cow but they change direction faster. :shock:

Don't I know it… :roll: :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    It IS weird to think that we London cyclists/commuters take all that stuff for granted. Not in the sense that we don't appreciate how mad and dangerous it can be - we forget that at our peril. We do just tend to get on with it though. I had a brief chat with another biker at Tooting High Street last night; the traffic was insane, pedestrians flying everywhere, roadworks narrowing down to one lane southbound - real gridlock stuff. We just looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said 'Take care mate' and rode off into the moonlight...............

That may have been me. Had that same experience a couple of times last week on CS7 near Tooting High Street (which is carnage at the best of times with cars left hooking, cars pulling out in front of you, peds RLJing at crossings etc etc) with the roadworks adding to the general chaos. Saw a car nearly wipe out the rider I was following when it tried to pull out in front of him because the cars had all stopped and he wasn't looking for bikes. We had a chat at the lights about the game of Russian Roulette we seem to have to play through Tooting, then wished each other well and got out of Dodge. Similar experience later in the week too (minus the near fatal incident) - I always appreciate that camaraderie. Anyway, if it wasn't me (Red Trek 8000 MTB with slicks) then it may be next time. Stay safe comrade.

"D'you go through Tooting? Nah, I just wind the windows up and stay quiet." :D
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Cycle in Lahndahhhhnnn for a while and you will find yourself redefining the notion of a close pass.
    You soft southern pansies (OK so I was born and brought up in Kent), you want to try cycling in India where many truck drivers so hate cyclists they will drive you off the road on purpose!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    All those extra police out and about have a name... Operation Safeway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25080427
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    TheBigBean wrote:
    All those extra police out and about have a name... Operation Safeway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25080427

Rebranded to Morrisons now :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I did confuse a few folks with my polite waves and thank yous though (for slowing / stopping at zebra crossings) :D
    Next you'll be telling us you tried to talk to someone on the tube :shock:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    I did confuse a few folks with my polite waves and thank yous though (for slowing / stopping at zebra crossings) :D

Now don't laugh but I did actually do that the first time I travelled on the tube
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    TGOTB wrote:

Now don't laugh but I did actually do that the first time I travelled on the tube

Its official.

Kieran Burns is actually a weirdo.

:wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    rubertoe wrote:

Its official.

Only by London standards.
    Makes him okay in my book.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,317
    daviesee wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Its official.

Only by London standards.
    Makes him okay in my book.
    I don't think that's what makes him a weirdo.
  • I am here you know

Gits.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    See, replying when he's not spoken to. Weird.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • daviesee
    Youngsters these days. Should know not to speak until spoken too and should be seen and not heard.
    Some of them shouldnt even be seen.

A message from....
    gits.jpg
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    TGOTB wrote:

My wife spoke to a random stranger on the tube on Saturday. He even spoke back! The fact that he was dressed as the 10th Doctor, and she was in a TARDIS dress had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • "vimfuego wrote:
    That may have been me. Had that same experience a couple of times last week on CS7 near Tooting High Street (which is carnage at the best of times with cars left hooking, cars pulling out in front of you, peds RLJing at crossings etc etc) with the roadworks adding to the general chaos. Saw a car nearly wipe out the rider I was following when it tried to pull out in front of him because the cars had all stopped and he wasn't looking for bikes. We had a chat at the lights about the game of Russian Roulette we seem to have to play through Tooting, then wished each other well and got out of Dodge. Similar experience later in the week too (minus the near fatal incident) - I always appreciate that camaraderie. Anyway, if it wasn't me (Red Trek 8000 MTB with slicks) then it may be next time. Stay safe comrade.

"D'you go through Tooting? Nah, I just wind the windows up and stay quiet." :D

I'll look out for you - I have my BR name on a sticker on my backpack (raymondo60)- - please do say hello if you see me.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Rolf F wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    to KB, welcome to the big smoke. you should have at least grabbed a Boris bike and chanced yer arm. Cycle in Lahndahhhhnnn for a while and you will find yourself redefining the notion of a close pass.

Indeed. It's great sport out accelerating the trendy hipsters on their fixies with a Boris Bike! :lol:

Underlines how slow the cycling is in London. Even on the Embankment it's easy enough to keep up with the cycle traffic on a Boris bike. It's fun a few times a year but it would drive me nuts on a regular basis.

It really isn't. You'd not have a hope in hell of keeping up with any half decent commuter on a boris bike!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • daviesee
    okgo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Indeed. It's great sport out accelerating the trendy hipsters on their fixies with a Boris Bike! :lol:

Underlines how slow the cycling is in London. Even on the Embankment it's easy enough to keep up with the cycle traffic on a Boris bike. It's fun a few times a year but it would drive me nuts on a regular basis.

It really isn't. You'd not have a hope in hell of keeping up with any half decent commuter on a boris bike!
    Thats fighting talk.
  • okgo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

This is true - they don't allow them out in the countryside :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

True enough with the quicker commuters, but you could probably keep up with the main bunch - wouldn't be much fun though, average cadence would probably be well over 120.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

My wife spoke to a random stranger on the tube on Saturday. He even spoke back! The fact that he was dressed as the 10th Doctor, and she was in a TARDIS dress had nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

Wow - a dress that's smaller on the outside than on the inside - I can see that selling well! To 99.9% of the female population..... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

True enough with the quicker commuters, but you could probably keep up with the main bunch - wouldn't be much fun though, average cadence would probably be well over 120.

There's not many quick ones. I was surprised at the slowness of the pace of the London commuter crowd but I suppose after all the stop start coming in to town, once you get onto the Embankment any pace seems comparitively quick even when it isn't in absolute terms. I've also found a folding small wheeled Dahon can be ridden faster than the vast majority of London commuters and that surprised me too. And I was easily out accelerating fixies on the BB - after all, they are low geared (and yes, the cadence does get silly quickly - a longer top gear would make a huge difference). Generally, not quite keeping up at cruising speed but surprisingly marginal. It would drive me nuts after a few days.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,659
    Just a thought, but maybe all the quick ones were way out in front of you, and you were stuck with all the slowcoaches ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just a thought, but maybe all the quick ones were way out in front of you, and you were stuck with all the slowcoaches ;)

Yep - that'll be it! :D
  • All the really fast ones were plying their lonesome trade elsewhere, on the forgotten byways of SE London. Yes, that's it. Ahem.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

I quite often chat to or are chatted to by strangers on the tube, I'm mostly working so with a austic lad so I'm probably seen as safe it's mostly women who do.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup me too, my chap is autistic too and opens up some in interesting conversations