Ice thread

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
To celebrate the first real day of ice this week and the inevitable injuries this brings I thought I would create this thread for us all to moan/gripe/show off our wounds.

I hereby declare this thread open, and share with you the first casualty - my triquetral bone, broken when I stacked it at the end of my lane this morning.

cast.jpg

Temporary cast on until my apt at the fracture clinic next Wednesday, then proper cast on for 4 to 6 weeks, can't ride or write, touch type, iron, peel potatoes or open jars. And it hurts like a sonofabitch.

Good job I can open a Lion bar with my teeth.

The Royal Oldham Hospital were ace and I was in and out in 2.5 hrs. Comedy moment when five of us with broken wrists were all sat outside xray at the same time.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• Oh no! That's pretty bad. And it's a tiny little bone - how on earth do you break that without breaking your ulna as well?

Ad how the hell is anyone supposed to set it? Or is the idea just to immobilise it and let it sort itself out?

What a giant PITA.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Took it very easy today. It is that moment when you see the sparkle ok the tarmac and you know that it is already too late, you can only hope it doesn't hurt too badly. On the plus side I saw numerous gritters out on my way home.

Hope its not a bad one
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Bad luck msmanc. Not much in the way of ice around here yet. However, when it does come, I don't think I'll be able to use my spikes. Had a visit from the PF this morning, and she brought he mate, the Snapped Axle Fairy. On the Brompton from now on, so those frosty mornings might be entertaining.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • owch!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,345
    Oh shizer! Sorry to hear that MSM. I was hoping you hadn't broken anything. Look in the upside, you damaged yourself before winter really gets a proper hold so you don't have to ride through the worst of the weather and you should be fully recovered by spring.
    Heal fast, do whatever Drs and physios tell you to. And if you post pictures of yourself I want more flesh and less plaster please.
    Get well soon.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I want more flesh and less plaster please.
    Get well soon.

+1 on the latter, I'll leave the pervy old man thing to Veronese :-)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ouch. GWS MsManc. +1 to Veronese's sentiments too.

I was doing a course yesterday and whilst waiting for his turn to do a new drill on a busier road than he had ridden on before, a kid was shivering quite badly. His fellow trainees asked him if he was scared. His reply:"No, just cold!"
    We went straight back after that and reminded the kids to wrap up warm for the rest of the lessons.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Ouch. GWS

November is a silly time of the year. No-one seems properly prepared for the on set of winter nor adjusts appropriatly.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • when i broke a bone in my wrist i had to have a small screw put in as the bone was crumbling, that was a shock as I left it for two months before getting it sorted as i thought i had sprained it.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I fractured my triquetrium in a similar spill a few years back (replace ice with diesel et voila!) - Mine healed up fine with just a cast - think it was on for about 5 weeks in total. Gets a bit achy when it's cold, and I can make it clunk, but all told, not too bad! Rest up well and cross your fingers (on your left hand)!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Le ouch. It's icy up in them thar hills. GWS.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Was following a truck on the training ride last night and the taste of salt in my mouth confirmed it was spreading grit - first sighting of the year for me, winter is here! Wrapped up warm but didn't bother with overshoes - feet were frozen by the end, had to defrost them in a sink of warm water! Didn't spy any ice but its just a matter of time.
  • veronese68
    They have gritted the dangerous bits of road in Richmond Park this morning. There was a stag licking the road in the dip near Ham gate so all the cars going towards Kingston had to stop and wait. Did make me chuckle.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It was dodgy yesterday. Took it very steady on the side roads. The ICE bike was left at home though. My lad crashed on the way to school though, his bike just went from under him. Fortunately, slow speed and nothing damaged.
  • msmancunia
    Thx all for messages. Came down hand first so it could have been worse. Will find out how they are going to fix it at the fracture clinic next week. It still really hurts but pain killers are helping a bit.

I really love living on my own but today has been a challenge. Can't drive, or write, or use right hand. Finding it hard to chop food, or get dressed, and having a bath and drying my hair was a nightmare. Cling film is pretty good at keeping my cast dry though!

Looks like I will be in plaster until the new year. At least I won't have to help with Xmas dinner, and can get away with getting everyone gift cards this year!
  • veronese68
    Yes, being one handed is really difficult. To add to my drunk post from last night, when you are out of plaster make sure you do whatever exercises and physio they recommend you do. It's amazing how much your hand can seize up with lack of use whilst in a cast. A friends wife broke her wrist about 6 months ago and didn't do physio because it hurt, her hand is not much better than a hook at the moment. She now realises and is trying to do the exercises, but it's too little too late and it won't be as good as if she'd done it properly in the first place.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Veronese68 wrote:
    when you are out of plaster make sure you do whatever exercises and physio they recommend you do.

This - I got a bit of stretchy band thing and had different exercises to do. Worth the effort, for sure.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • The irony I'd that I've survived 4 years of commuting through terrible ice and only one off (bloody Marathon W***ers)

Already had an off on the Brompton - and only wet cobbles - no damage done though.

GWS MsM!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    To add to my drunk post from last night, and stuff.....

yeah yeah. :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You're only jealous. Doombar and Naked Ladies followed by curry last night. London Pride in about half an hour. :P
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You're only jealous. Doombar and Naked Ladies followed by curry last night. London Pride in about half an hour. :P

3 Weeks now and I am only just starting to stop looking in every offie and pub that I pass... :shock:

• veronese68
    Well to get back on topic to avoid mentioning beer to a dry Rubertoe.
    It was quite chilly walking back from the pub after lovely pints of Pride. I bumped into CJCP walking the dog. He hadn't had any Pride and looked very cold. There was no ice though so not too treacherous. My ride to work tomorrow may be a little slower than usual though.
  • Ouch! Get well soon Ms. M.

It can seem like a very long healing time at the time, but in retrospect, it's merely a blip. Just make sure you do everything you can to get better.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ouch! Get well soon Ms. M.

It can seem like a very long healing time at the time, but in retrospect, it's merely a blip. Just make sure you do everything you can to get better.
    Yeah, I hear Pinot G aids bone regrowth.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ouch! Get well soon Ms. M.

Yeah, I hear Pinot G aids bone regrowth.
    Make sure the bottle has a screw top. Have you ever tried to use a corkscrew with your teeth?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Make sure the bottle has a screw top. Have you ever tried to use a corkscrew with your teeth?

There speaketh a man from experience.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • msmancunia
    redvee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Only problem is I don't think PG mixes well with my pain killers. worked from home yesterday and fell asleep twice with my laptop on my knee :( will have to make up for it with chocolate.
  • veronese68
    redvee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Indeed. Thankfully I'm not much of a wine drinker and I have a bottle opener screwed to the wall in the kitchen so I could get into beer bottles one handed.
    There are many things that you can't do when your right hand is out of action.
  • rubertoe
    Stop talking about booze....

• veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    Stop talking about booze....
    Sorry, didn't know you were listening. :oops:
    I have a hangover if that makes you feel better.