Adjusting maximum heart rate

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
I know that I should have a scientific test done, but can't do that just yet.

So, according to various formulae my MHR is between 168 and 171.

Today riding I hit 174 and lived to tell the tale. Top of a very steep climb for me, and I think another 10m would have done me in, but I got there.

On the basis that I will be using the same heart rate monitor, should I adjust my zone calculations to a new MHR of say 175?

Thanks.

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

On the basis that I will be using the same heart rate monitor, should I adjust my zone calculations to a new MHR of say 175?

Thanks.
    Yes, in the lack of any other information. Although there's a fair chance that your absolute maximum is still a little higher. You can ignore the formulae from now on, they are just a very approximate guideline and there is a lot of variation between individuals. You can test your maximum heart rate yourself (you can find various methods online, usually involving a gruelling interval or series of intervals). But don't rely on a single test, it can vary on different days and over longer spaces of time. If you are just starting out you might find that your HRmax comes down a bit as you get fitter and your heart gets bigger.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Just to add that if you use this MHR you must also use the same monitor because who knows how accurate a particular monitor is.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I know that I should have a scientific test done, but can't do that just yet.

So, according to various formulae my MHR is between 168 and 171.

Today riding I hit 174 and lived to tell the tale. Top of a very steep climb for me, and I think another 10m would have done me in, but I got there.

Thanks.
    I would venture that if you were, in fact, "done in" then most likely that is your MHR. If it doesn't go any higher then obviously you're at max.