Hand made wheels for winter bike

2»

Comments

• And how exactly are you going to shave 1-2 mm off the edge of your rims?
    I don't want to be patronising, but I have tried different tyres and all folding, I am a cheap basxxard, but not so cheap as to buy cheap wired tyres! I leave those for the cheap folks who spend too much on a frame and then scrimp on the tyres... :wink:
    As I said, it depends on the rim and there is no way to predict just by looking at rim width
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I failed to fit 700c Vittoria Open Corsas to 700c Campagnolo Neutrons. This because the Vittorias are pointlessly about 6mm smaller in circumference than my other tyres and the Neutrons have shallow inner rims. If you can't rely on a 700c tyre fitting a 700c rim, it seems reasonable not to assume you can definitely fit a 700c tyre on a 29 rim.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Rolf F wrote:
    I failed to fit 700c Vittoria Open Corsas to 700c Campagnolo Neutrons. This because the Vittorias are pointlessly about 6mm smaller in circumference than my other tyres and the Neutrons have shallow inner rims. If you can't rely on a 700c tyre fitting a 700c rim, it seems reasonable not to assume you can definitely fit a 700c tyre on a 29 rim.

Fair enough, I guess it's a case of suck it and see. There got to be a table of what works and what doesn't.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Just swapped my new wheels onto my Croix De Fer with new tryres, cassette, and disc rotors:

Old =
    Tyres = Schwalbe Marathon (not plus) 32cs
    Wheels = Stock (32H Deore Hubs, Alex Rims DF23 rims)
    Rotors = Deore Center lock
    Cassette = Tiagra 12-25

New =
    Tyres = Vittoria Randonneur Pro 32c
    Wheels = Mavic Open Pro 32H, Novatec 711/712
    Rotors = Avid HS2
    Cassette = SRAM PG950 11-28

Difference in weight is 1.15kg!

Everything apart from the wheels was super cheap as well (tyres £15 each, cassette £16, rotors £9.25 each)

Not given it a proper run out yet but it feels like a different bike. It is still a heavy old beast but losing that much of the wheels certainly makes it ride different.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rolf F wrote:

Funny that because I've not had trouble fitting Vittoria OC to any of my campag rims but then they are meant to be handmade so perhaps you got a duff pair?

anyway I did have trouble changing a conti gatorskin on a mavic rim, it was in the dark, pissing rain and 2am in the morning, i had been previously unconscious laying in a hedge for a few (4 hours) and bleeding from inside my ear which might have had something to do with it :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.