Chain

fat-lad-on-a-bike
fat-lad-on-a-bike Posts: 26
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hey i feel like i speak to this page more than my wife.

issue i notice a clicking noise last week on my bike,
i invesitgated yesterday to see if there was some grit or muck in the gears or cogs.

I found that oneside of a chain link is broken. I though bugger new chain.
I went in to get a new bike chain this morning to be informed of chain stretch and wear of rear cogs. that i would with a new chain need a rear block because of wear.
the bike was serviced by the previous owner this year.

I have a new chain do i put it on or will it slip?
Do i take back the chain and get them to fit a full chain and cog block? (unsure of cost?)
Can i repair the chain with a quick link?
Do i buy a chain remover and lose a link?

ARGHHHHHHHH its a fecking Chain!!!
its damaged not worn or dead!!

Comments

• in my experience you need to replace the rear cassette once for every 3 chains you wear out. although if you find there is slipping with the new chain it may well need a new cassette also.
    yes, you might be able to simply replace the broken link, that should certainly save you some cash (even though Evans fleeced me for 9 quid for 2 KMC links the other week).
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    How old is the chain? How many sprockets on the cassette?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Sprockets???

it is a 7 speed rear block.
    the chain age not sure!!
    the cog look in really good order and little wear.
  • Measure chain - if its fine, fit a quicklink. If its not - fit the new one. If it slips - new cassette. If it doesn't - no new cassette. Simples
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • doug5_10 wrote:
    Measure chain - if its fine, fit a quicklink. If its not - fit the new one. If it slips - new cassette. If it doesn't - no new cassette. Simples

Exactly what I did!! I managed to break my chain as I was just digging in at the bottom of a hill (it had done 1900+ miles). Checked it for wear and it was worn so wasn't worth repairing. Bought new chain and people tried to tell me I'd need a new cassette too. Fitted the new chain and have no problem changing gears so I'm happy. If it aint broke, don't try and fix it. Maybe I should have replaced the cassette..., but it changes gear smoothly every time, so I don't see the need.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    How old is this bike? And how old is the chain and sprocket? Being 7 speed must mean it's either an older model, or a mountain bike maybe?

Most advice says the same thing. Basically, replace the link first. then work through the rest. I use the cheaper BBB links off CRC, a couple of quid each. Matched to a KMC chain, no problems so far.
  • mabbo wrote:
    How old is this bike? And how old is the chain and sprocket? Being 7 speed must mean it's either an older model, or a mountain bike maybe?

Most advice says the same thing. Basically, replace the link first. then work through the rest. I use the cheaper BBB links off CRC, a couple of quid each. Matched to a KMC chain, no problems so far.

Thats yeah is a 10 year old road bike, that i bought recently trying to keep fit over the winter, as have been running for about 18 months. So with a limited budget given that i havent really road biked before i picked up a claud bulter - san remo 2002ish Ali frame, with sora gears and brakes, brake shifters been serived by previous owner early part of the year but no damage or stone chips really good nick. Though it would be better than something cheapo.

Now enjoying the 7 mile bike to work and few longer rides, and signed up for me and the old girl to take part in a duathlon 4.4km/21.2km bike/4.4km

Therefore the chain and sprocket I havent a clue on the age, but according to a roadbiking mate he was suprised how little the bike had been used and that the the sprocket teeth were still as square. Alos given that it has been services wouldnt that not have been picked up and changed?

I have picked up an new chain, so will replace and will take the old one off and try and get it repaired just incase or always worth having as a spare if not too stretched.

Thank you, im sure they see me coming and think this fella doesnt have a clue what we are talking about.