Great Glen route question

Cousin Nick
Cousin Nick Posts: 27
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,
A group of us are JOGLEing in 2 weeks time.
I was looking at options for the Great Glen (Inverness SYHA to Glencoe SYHA). Keen to avoid the A82 as much as possible, so taking the B862 from Inverness to Fort Augustus. Then on the A82 along Loch Oich, but not sure what to do on the Loch Lochy stretch. Greatglenbikes.com suggests that the forestry road/track on the NW side of the loch (Kilfinnan to Clunes) is OK for MTBs and hybrids but, and this is essentially what I need to know:
What is this route like for road bikes?
Once at Clunes, its tarmac again through to Banavie then A82 again to Glencoe.

I'd really appreciate any local knowledge.
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Did it a while ago and my memory's perhaps not as sharp as I'd like, but I recall fairly typical fire-road track, of the sort you'd find as part of the 'family trail' in any well-set-up forestry commission trail centre. I think the 'OK for MTBs and hybrids' is probably about right: you probably wouldn't want to do it on a carbon-fibre racing machine, but if you've got a tourer with reasonable size tyres and you don't mind a bit of vibration then you'd probably be OK.

Worst comes to the worst, if you get there and decide you don't like it, you can always revert to the road fairly easily!!
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    You'll kill a road bike on that route
  • Cheers guys. A82 it is then for the roadies. Maybe those on cross-bikes will give it a go.

N