Giant Rapid 3

silverill
silverill Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I am considering buying a Giant Rapid 3 to for the commute and winter riding!

I was wondering if it was a fast as they marketing?? any experience out there?

Thanks

Comments

• e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I have a Rapid 3. I bought it a few years ago when I got back into cycling due to a 14 mile each way cross London commute which was a nightmare on the tube. At the time I was nervous about such a long urban commute with drop bars and the Rapid seemed a perfect solution. And in most ways it has been.

I still have it and commute on it most days and have added a really nice carbon road bike for 'proper rides'. To be totally honest though, as much as I do love my Rapid, I wish I had got a Defy instead. Now I am fully comfortable with drop bars and the more versatile hand positions I get a bit frustrated with the limitations of the Rapid. Especially by not being able to reach the brakes or shifters from the bar ends.

I do love my Rapid. I really do. I have loved riding it and have two Strava KOM's on it, but..... I will probably change it for a bike with drop bars. Maybe a CX bike?

Hope that helps!

Dave
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I Have a Rapid 4 which I bought second hand off ebay for £250 as my first bike. It helped me fall in love with riding and although I now have a Defy as well I still really enjoy going out for a blat on the Rapid and have now added mudguards etc to make it my winter bike.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I had the Rapid 4, loved it was a great bike to get me started on road biking. I picked it up cheap in the end of season sale. Can't recommend it enough for a starter bike.
  • Thanks for the advice, all very positive
    I went for the rapid 3 and I am pleased with it so far. Looking forward to the morning commute to test it properly
    Its the vixen my cannondale was but it looks a nippy workhorse to get me trhough the winter