Where to find race photos?

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited August 2013 in Amateur race
Every week I see a few professional looking photographers snapping away at various races but these pictures never turn up anywhere?

Any idea where to find them? Looking for NCRA Rockingham mostly, but was at the MK bowl last night

I was actually planning on asking the photographer at MK last night but felt like I was going to throw up after my win so went back to the car and had an emergency Orangina instead :mrgreen:

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    The photos from the Bowl often end up on Milton Keynes Cycling Association’s Facebook page. One of the photographers last night was Karla Boddy, and we often get a local photography club coming down to practise action shots, they sometimes post their photos on the MKCA page too.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Congratulations on the win and on getting your 3rd cat licence, Alasdair. It's quite an inspiring story, reading your blog. Good luck finding photos of your first win!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    In my experience, if you search for the name of the race you may find some on Google Images, and you may find some on Facebook. I've found the odd few on Picasa but I don't think I've ever found any on Flickr or Imageshack. However, it seems that there are a lot of photographers out there who don't seem to want their photos to be seen by anyone. Which I find very strange in this age of digital social networking. They don't rename their photos (so they stay as IMG_001 or whatever, making them impossible to search for), and if they upload them anywhere they don't tag them where tags are available, don't name whatever folder/album the same as the name of the race or even anything similar (e.g. the name of the town/village) etc. Of course, they're free to do whatever they want with their photos, and I don't care if I don't see any photos of myself racing - in fact I'd rather not as I don't look very good! But as an ex-wannabe photographer I do find it a bit strange that people make the effort to photograph things and then don't make the small effort it takes to make their photos findable by others.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Another thing I find annoying is people who shoot 4th cat races then put massive watermarks over the entire image. Despite the fact that these people are never going to make any money out of shooting the lowest level of amateur racing, and they're uploading 500 pixel images that are too small to print at any decent size, they're so paranoid about copyright theft that they'd rather make their mediocre pictures look even worse by slapping a big wad of translucent text over them.

You don't see actual proper professional photographers doing that, for obvious reasons.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Herbsman wrote:
    In my experience, if you search for the name of the race you may find some on Google Images, and you may find some on Facebook. I've found the odd few on Picasa but I don't think I've ever found any on Flickr or Imageshack. However, it seems that there are a lot of photographers out there who don't seem to want their photos to be seen by anyone. Which I find very strange in this age of digital social networking. They don't rename their photos (so they stay as IMG_001 or whatever, making them impossible to search for), and if they upload them anywhere they don't tag them where tags are available, don't name whatever folder/album the same as the name of the race or even anything similar (e.g. the name of the town/village) etc. Of course, they're free to do whatever they want with their photos, and I don't care if I don't see any photos of myself racing - in fact I'd rather not as I don't look very good! But as an ex-wannabe photographer I do find it a bit strange that people make the effort to photograph things and then don't make the small effort it takes to make their photos findable by others.

I found one not very good photo of me on Flickr via a google search - and the ones on the MKCA facebook page are only of the E/1/2 and 3/4 races unfortunately :(
  • blurrr
    blurrr Posts: 8
    Most photographers will be amateurs/enthusiasts and the photos will never see the light of day. You could try searching for the race on Flickr or Picasa.