Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Numbers and stuff.

tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 16,063
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
So

Let's say a forum member, no one in particular mind you, has made in excess of 2000 posts to a forum.

1.04% of those posts are on one long running thread, the remaining 98.96% of the posts dispersed on other threads with no more than 23 on any other thread.

What conclusion can be drawn about someone who tries to draw a conclusion from that 1.04%?

Any other shocking examples of misused statistics to support a point?


You use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamp post. For support rather than illumination.









:wink: if it's really needed....
Believe that a farther shore
Is reachable from here.
Believe in miracles
And cures and healing wells

Posts

  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    Be careful now. You may disappear too. :wink:

    Based on a statistic of one. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    Would it be the same someone who complains/boasts about how dangerous his job is ...

    One answer to that - CHOICE ...

    I don't have to sit in an office and work on a computer all day - it was my choice to earn a living this way.
    Would I want to be in the military? Noway - not my idea of fun ... and if he doesn't like doing it then perhaps he should try a different profession ...
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    17% of my posts are in SCR. I'd say the 1% person is remarkably well rounded :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I need a point of reference to make an informed response, what is the context, who or what are we talking about?
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    dhope wrote:
    17% of my posts are in SCR. I'd say the 1% person is remarkably well rounded :D

    you need to spend more time looking at gurlz on bicycles & less trying to hang onto my wheel...
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited July 2013
    Where are you getting these stats?

    All I can see is of my stats are:

    User statistics
    Joined: 19 Jun 2007 12:58
    Last visited: 31 Jul 2013 15:28

    Total posts: 11627 | Search user’s posts
    (0.32% of all posts / 5.20 posts per day)
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • First.AspectFirst.Aspect Posts: 5,676
    Twh, you have hit upon the very core of party politics.

    As to Yossie, even I was finding him entertaining at one point. It was a bit like watching a drunk resisting arrest. But it was getting a wee bit personal.

    What are they paying squaddies these days? Round here they can't afford the cider barns that's for sure.
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    17% of my posts are in SCR. I'd say the 1% person is remarkably well rounded :D

    you need to spend more time looking at gurlz on bicycles & less trying to hang onto my wheel...
    I'll have you know I spend plenty of time perving at gurlz on bikes, just less time talking about it. So there. Hah. Hmm. :oops:

    I thought it was a girl on a bike last time I saw your weedy little pins pushing that granny gear you call a fixed.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 53,383 Lives Here
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where are you getting these stats?

    All I can see is of my stats are:

    User statistics
    Joined: 19 Jun 2007 12:58
    Last visited: 31 Jul 2013 15:28

    Total posts: 11627 | Search user’s posts
    (0.32% of all posts / 5.20 posts per day)

    People who spread their posts enough don't get specific stats like that.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where are you getting these stats?

    All I can see is of my stats are:

    User statistics
    Joined: 19 Jun 2007 12:58
    Last visited: 31 Jul 2013 15:28

    Total posts: 11627 | Search user’s posts
    (0.32% of all posts / 5.20 posts per day)
    Now. Isn't that weird?
    I used to see different stats to what I see this afternoon.
    Hmmmmm.........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
Sign In or Register to comment.