Advert on this site

Robert72
Robert72 Posts: 84
edited September 2013 in Discuss the website with the team
is anyone else having problems with the pages loading? bloody page jumps around while the adverts load down the side of the screen, arggg

Comments

• No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    Yes, all the time, on all platforms (iMac and PCs), I've tried different browsers and it happens on all of them. I've complained before, it seemed to (briefly) get better, then reverted to type.

I have Virgin's wizzy optical broadband too, so internet speed shouldn't be the cause....

It is very irritating.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Yes, bloody annoying. But it's convinced me that i'll never buy a Seat Leon SC! :evil:
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    ^^^ and me ! annooying as hell as you click a link but the page jumps and loads something else !

someone please sort this out !
  • Yep me too. Annoying as hell. You've got your cursor hovered over a board topic and the page jumps - arrggh!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Been a few posts on here recently about this, you need ad blocker which is an add on to Firefox, no more annoying ads after that :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Just installed ad blocker for Chrome. Instant fix!

It's a shame that it had to be done as I know ad's are crucial to keep sites like this one open.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I tried Ad Blocker but it stopped another site working altogether so I had to switch it off. Any other method (ideally which doesn't stop the ads altogether for the reason given by Pumpkin above) would be appreciated as when the scrolly ads appear I have to switch BR off.

The only positive to this is that it has helped me to decide never, ever to buy a Volvo courtesy of that companies determined and successful efforts to really irritate me. That's good advertising.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Yes, these SEAT ads give a terrible experience in using the site.

We understand ads pay for the site, but these are not the way to do it.

Or, offer a subscription service with no ads.
    Mens agitat molem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bazbadger wrote:
    Yes, these SEAT ads give a terrible experience in using the site.

We understand ads pay for the site, but these are not the way to do it.

Or, offer a subscription service with no ads.

No need for that - most ads are basically harmless. All we need is for BR to ensure that the scrolly ones that make me and I'm sure plenty of others feel ill are got rid of. They aren't good for the user, they aren't good for BR and they aren't good for the advertiser. The only people who benefit from these ads are the incompetent advertising agencies who don't understand that less is more.

Perhaps BR could have a quiet word with the advertisers to suggest that their making BR unpleasant to use is unlikely to result in increased sales.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hi all,

Thanks for making us aware of some of the more unruly adverts. I have reported this to the digital ad manager who is looking into it now.
    Come Chat to us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BikeRadar
    Or
    Give us a Tweet https://twitter.com/#!/bikeradar
    Or even...
    Join our Google+ Circle https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/114648719698063638202/
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    The bloody jumpy ones really get up your snout............
    You learn very early on when designing web bits and pieces that flashy, tricky bits are a no no in practice.
    I do recognise that adverts are necessary, and indeed sometimes useful!!!!!

A general thing do some designers ever get someone non technical to use their sites??????
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Chrome ad blocker just installed. Great, now the page isn't on springs. Not as if I was EVER going to respond to these annoying f@@king ads and can't believe anybody would.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I use a couple of bike forum sites and I am starting to drift away from jumpy sites towards ones that stay where they are put.
  • arran77
    There is a seriously annoying advert from Vodafone which makes the page much narrower than normal, can you get rid of it please?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,350
    Sorry, I agree with the posts above about ads paying for the site, but that Vodafone ad is really irritating. It's too big and makes the whole page jump. That's not good for the site or the advertiser.
  • Agree, it is awful
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Vodafone add is ridiculous, very annoying. It put me off using the site last night. Now I'm back on and navigating to other sections, the jumpy nature of the website now is very irritating. I click on links only for the page to jump and I end up somewhere else. Shame as I liked this forum, looks like 'll have to go elsewhere now.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • Thanks for letting us know about the Vodafone ad - it has been reported to the digital ads manager and we're looking at it now.
    Come Chat to us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BikeRadar
    Or
    Give us a Tweet https://twitter.com/#!/bikeradar
    Or even...
    Join our Google+ Circle https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/114648719698063638202/
  • RESOLUTION:

Google Chrome,

+ install a certain block the advert extention that you can download for free

I never see these annoying adverts!
  • arran77
    RESOLUTION:

Google Chrome,

+ install a certain block the advert extention that you can download for free

I never see these annoying adverts!

No good for all the people who use an iPad :wink:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    Thanks for letting us know about the Vodafone ad - it has been reported to the digital ads manager and we're looking at it now.

They looked at it all right and replaced it with one from RBS which does the same as the Vodafone one :roll:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just seen this thread. Can I add my frustration to the mix. Very annoying on an iPad. Makes the site almost unusable. If there is a blocker can someone tell me what it is. Can't be productive if it makes people turn off, leave the site or hate the product?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bupa now... Nice little cartoon characters, tree, sun and matchstick person making my screen jump around ...
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Bupa now... Nice little cartoon characters, tree, sun and matchstick person making my screen jump around ...

It obviously targets the advertising to a suitable market!!

seanoconn