Drafting etiquette

124»

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I got drafted yesterday on the way home from work. I was quite chuffed as I had my rack and pannier on. And I got home in record time. The only thing that annoyed me was having hammered along the A47 out of Leicester I turned round to find drafter had disappeared.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    I got drafted yesterday on the way home from work. I was quite chuffed as I had my rack and pannier on. And I got home in record time. The only thing that annoyed me was having hammered along the A47 out of Leicester I turned round to find drafter had disappeared.

Sort of similar for me on Thurday - on commuting bike (Secteur with rack and pannier with laptop in it etc.). Saw a group go past the end of my road and caught up with them 1/4 mile later. Commented to the back chap that it was nice to find a chaingang to hook up to on the commute, but then realised that they were going too slowly for me. Overtook them at my normal pace and said 'hi' to the leader. Would have been more than happy for them to hook on the back, but looked back - having eased off for a few seconds and then upped back to normal - to find them way back.

Have to admit being a bit smug at being faster with a rack and pannier than this rather serious-looking pelotonette! :D
  • dynamicbrick
    dynamicbrick Posts: 460
    Drafting is an oft practiced thing down here on the coast. A few winters ago I was grinding back along the prom into the face of a 35mph headwind. It was a real grind too - nose on the stem, small ring, just trying to lessen my frontal area and keep the cadence up, scraping 11mph

I became aware of someone drafting me, and after another torturous mile I shouted back for him to take a turn on the front. So some bloke sat bolt upright on a Dutch style, wearing a parka (fully inflated), with a kiddie seat on the back, literally blasts past me. After the momentary shock I tried to latch on, gave it the full Cavendish, but he just waved and dropped the hammer. Dropped me like my chain had fallen off.

To this day I tell myself it was an electric bike..

It had better have been a leccy bike
  • HiCadence
    HiCadence Posts: 40
    I got drafted the other day up a 1 mile stretch of road by a guy in a world champs jersey and a pair of sky bib shorts i usually don't mind if people want to draft behind me.
  • jonomc4 wrote:
    Yep we were all chatting before at some red lights.

Not that can make any difference, I overtook someone recently who then busted a gut to catch me up. We rode for another 5 minutes chatting and I told him I was nearly home and that I lived halfway up the next hill and would be turning off.

We got to the bottom of the hill and he said 'right lets go' and started charging up the hill.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles