Drafting etiquette

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited July 2013 in Road general
I really hope this thread doesnt go the same way as our friend and the scooter or i may be chastised till the cows come home!

i was on my way home from work, it was quite a nice evening so went a very long route home, i wasnt racing back or anything just out to get some miles in. then i heard the clicking of a bikes gears and looked round to find a bike right behind me, seemed inches from my back wheel. i said hello and had no response, i was expecting him to pass but he didnt and i didnt really like him being there so i slowed down to let him past. but he slowed too, i sped up and so did he, this went on for about 2 miles, i even asked him to go past but he didnt say anything and just stuck on my back wheel. luckily he eventually went a different route to me.

was this ok riding on his part?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nope. Sounds like a nob. He had a chance to talk to you and come through and he didn't.
    If it bothered me I'd have sat up until he did come past.

I've sat on plenty of wheels but always exchanged words and done my turn. It's just good manners.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    +1 for douche move.

P.s do we need a thread on this everytime it happens to someone? Can we have a thread maybe titled "compilation of asshole wheelsuckers"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I wouldn't do that, if I've gained on someone under my own steam, then its highly unlikely that I will be happy to sit behind them in their draft getting all hot. If someone passes me and offers it I may work with them for a bit, but personally I don't see why cyclists think its ok to sit dangerously close to each other. I think it needs a special understanding to be safe, of the kind that two strangers who don't know each other would struggle to make work.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Sorry to bring it up again, hadn't seen it posted before.

I couldn't understand why he didn't just go past when I slowed down, I was going pretty slow too.

Even my ibs deserted me, he wouldn't have stayed that close if that was playing up!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I would consider it at least harassment. I don't know british rules, in Germany, you aren't even allowed to follow someone that closely in traffic, because it is dangerous. Apart from that, you can't tell, what that guy really wants, might not be drafting. It is one of those situations, where things like baseball bats come to my mind... (though, I am not violent person).

PS: Never thought of farting...
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Just come to a complete stop, or constantly change speeds - accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake, go really slow etc.

That will really annoy them.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I would have turned the screw and make him hurt. :D
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Wheelsucking is our rite.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Wheelsucking is our rite.

Come ride with me. You're more than welcome to sit in my wheel for as long as you like/can :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've had this happen to me before, the guy was on my wheel for a couple of miles and didn't acknowledge me in any way so after he passed I let him go for a bit then caught him up and did the same thing to him, he tried a few times to shake me off but I just kept with him I was intending to go faster than he was any way, he eventually turned off and just pulled up at the curb :-)
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    A big f a r t sorts the wheelsuckers out
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    OP I would have let that ignorant mofo literally wheelsuck my back wheel so he is millimetres away......then stand up like you do when you are climbing a hill...................then let rip an almighty fart right in front of him.

Bet he wouldn't be wheelsucking my rear wheel after that.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • LegendLust wrote:
    A big f a r t sorts the wheelsuckers out

That is no way to describe Raffles
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    That would have been a good time to clear the nostrils.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Maybe he had earphones in, combined with wind he may not have heard you. Or maybe he has a fetish for rear ends and so he enjoyed gazing at your arse.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    +1 for snot rockets out the back does the trick!
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I offer them a polite "please get off my back wheel", and if they still don't listen I generally let the pace gradually slow, until they have no choice but to pass, and then as they pass I launch into a sprint and fly past them - if they then catch up (usually as I tend to stop for lights), the same again etc.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Last week I overtook a cyclist going fairly slowly through town (he must've been slow if I managed to get past). I turned round after a minute and he was sitting about 5 bike lengths back. I sped up a bit and he was still the same distance back. As it was quite windy (atmospheric, not human) I thought we'd be as well working together so I slowed down to let him catch me. And he slowed down and maintained his weird 5 bike length gap.

What was going on?
    Was he a bottom watcher or is there a less disturbing explanation?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Didn't want to overtake back as you'd already overtaken him. But wanted to keep a reasonable stopping distance between you and him.
  • marylogic
    Phew!

Still don't understand why he didn't catch up and work together though :?:
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Have you a photo of your bottom available so that we can judge whether it's worth watching or not?

;)
  • marylogic wrote:
    Phew!

I wouldn't draft with someone I didn't know, you need to accept that not everyone is comfortable with drafting and in fact if you were in traffic they were being sensible. If you're drafting you can't see red lights, obstacles ahead etc - 5 bike lengths is pretty good (especially if your brakes are a bit under maintained).

Also if I'm on a training ride I don't like to draft as it's not as hard training and mucks up any comparisons I want to make to previous rides.
  • marylogic
    djm501 wrote:
    Have you a photo of your bottom available so that we can judge whether it's worth watching or not?

;)

It's really not that interesting, just hoped he wasn't some sort of weird stalker type
  • Cobi
    Cobi Posts: 16
    My mate does this to me every ride, then wonders why im stronger and can ride a lot further han him?! Clearly cos my legs are used to the work/wind and his are not !! :lol:
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    marylogic wrote:
    Phew!

Maybe he is like me and has zero interest in working with anyone, I am on a solo ride, but quite a few people have seemed to assume I want to share the effort and seem put out that I don't, (well the nice ones ask, and are fine when I explain I don't, the rude ones seem to be attempting some non verbal communication thing that I can't understand)

the only person I ever draft is my brother-in-law who I have ridden with often and know what he is and isn't likely to do, and even then I am still a 2-3 metres back as i am only staying close so we can hear each other, rather that make it easy.

I don't really mind people drafting me if they want to (not that I am that quick) as long as they let me know they are there and aren't 2 inches from my back wheel.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm quite happy to draft someone (although they'd have to have overtaken me first cos I won't ride up to someone then sit on their wheel) and I believe it is polite to ask them first.
    It is better if they're club riders (not that I'm one) as they're more used to the constant speed/gradual change required for close formation riding.

Likewise I don't mind if someone wants to draft me .. as long as they're not dangerously close .. but it would be nice if they at least said hello !
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    People that draft me p.iss me right off. I will move right to the other side of the lane to make it clear they are not wanted, especially those that don't even bother to acknowledge me or even take a turn.

To be honest I dont really like drafting because I like to see what is on the road ahead of me as I dodge and weave potholes and debri a lot. Can't do that whilst wheel sucking.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Because I ride with a club drafting is something im very well used to, if another rider appears from nowhere and hangs on my wheel then there are 2 eventualities......he can say "hello" and ask me if I mind him getting a tow and under the circumstances I will say no problem. He can ride up behind me and say nothing even though im looking at him, under those conditions id ask him if he is planning to sit staring at my arrse and wave him on.

Manners don't cost nothing, politeness will get you everywhere when it comes to road cycling.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Raffles wrote:
    politeness will get you everywhere when it comes to road cycling.

No, legs will. :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think if you pass someone and slot in front then you are fair game. Personally I hate people more who bust their balls to pass me and then are unable to keep it up when if front. I've got less of an issue with people who sit on my tail, but those who hang out on me barely able to pass really pee me off, because then I have to slow down to give them room.