How much was your first MODERN ROAD bike? New or used?

2»

Comments

• awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    First foray into road bikes was a 6 month old 2010 Trek 1.1 bought used for £300. Still my pub bike/winter hack. Rack, guards, weighs a ton and you feel every road vibration but it's built like a tank and served me well.
  • Superbalicious
    Superbalicious Posts: 136
    edited January 2013
    Trek 1.9 in 2009 for £1,099. Ultegra groupset and a colour scheme that still makes me smile when I ride it. I have no idea if it's any good compared to other brands, but I like it :)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Trek 1200, bought in 2006 for £600ish I think. No idea how many miles it's done but I've had my money's worth out of it! Still sees regular use as winter/tour/occasional commute bike.
  • This was covered a few weeks ago

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12897619
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Giant Defy 2 got it in Sept 2011 just after the riots £520 or thereabouts cost per mile about 27p at the moment but had 4 months off last year with a multiple broken bones in my hand after a good crash. Just back riding properly, well almost in a rough way.
    Turned out nice again!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Bianchi Nirone. New, £1 under a grand.

Only lasted 3 months before it was written off. I needed an excuse to go carbon, anyway.
  • 1300, Pinarello FP Quattro.

after getting a cannondale quick cx2 hybrid, I decided I wanted a road bike and waited until I found something I really liked.

as for how many miles i've done on it - 0 as we're currently recovering from an ice age, and i'm not taking her out in the wet/cold!! :lol:
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    Mine was £650, a Ribble Winter trainer with Shimano Tiagra, bought it about 10 months ago.

I did about 750 miles, a fair few of that on my commute to my old job. Now that I have a new job (much further away) and it is Winter, the bike is just sitting there
  • Mine's a BTwin Triban 3, bought new for only £299.

Shimano Triple set, carbon forks, 5 yr warranty, and a free checkup within 6 months sounded pretty good as a first-time dive into road cycling :D

I'm yet to see if it's a complete steal at that price, or whether it is too good to be true when it starts shedding all it's vital parts on the way to work after 6 months. The online reviews all seemed very enthusiastic though.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Felt F85

Loved it..

On a De Rosa now though
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    twitchor wrote:
    Mine is a Felt Z85 2013 £785 new...
    Had it 2 weeks and still ain't rode it..
    That's a very good price. I've only seen it advertised for over £900. My Z85 should be coming this week and I am very excited to get my first road bike. Paying £800 for it due to a mix up on my original order for an F85.

Price per mile so far is ∞
  • 5nakey
    5nakey Posts: 16
    Felt F95 picked up 2 days ago - £650.

a huge 12 miles on the clock thus far.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    My Giant Defy 5 only cost me £500 back in May this year. So far, i've only managed 145miles so it has cost a massive £3.45 per mile - but that will change significantly over the coming months....

I bought it through the cyclescheme though, so it will only end up costing me around £340 - so at that it has only cost £2.34 per mile so far....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    Bought a Giant OCR3 from ebay for £225 last September getting on for 1700 miles on it so far, sold an old MTB for £200 so effectively cost neutral ;) trying to persuade the wife that I need a new bike so this can be relegated to Winter bike.

Shimano Triple set, carbon forks, 5 yr warranty, and a free checkup within 6 months sounded pretty good as a first-time dive into road cycling :D

I'm yet to see if it's a complete steal at that price, or whether it is too good to be true when it starts shedding all it's vital parts on the way to work after 6 months. The online reviews all seemed very enthusiastic though.

Same bike for me, was too cheap not to have a look at, esp after the countless very good reviews it got, i've had mine about 9 months, upgraded a couple of things since then, but more out of choice then necessity, only problem i've had was the chain kept jumping when putting the power down in the higher gears, had to change chain, rear wheel and cassette, works like a dream now, just over 1000 miles on it.
  • dpGoose
    dpGoose Posts: 14
    Trek Domane 4.5 @ £2100 about 2 months ago. Absolutely loving it :D
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    New Ribble 7005 bike. Campag mirage, mavic MA3 wheels. £499 in 2003
  • £649 - Trek 1.2 in 2010
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    BMC Streetracer SR01 - Nov 2012 - 105 groupset

Ticket price was £999 but I got it on a cycle to work scheme so it'll be about £750 when I've finished paying for it.
    Frighteningly I've ridden it about 3500 miles already. Lots of wear and tear of course. The Shimano 501 wheels that came with it are now emergency only having been written off when I got it service a couple of weeks back so an extra £350 can be added for the Mavic Ksyrium Equipes I've been using mostly since May. Also had the bottom bracket replaced, several chains and it's about to have the rear derailleur replaced. The headset is shot now too. I wish I was easier on my bikes :roll:

Same bike for me, was too cheap not to have a look at, esp after the countless very good reviews it got, i've had mine about 9 months, upgraded a couple of things since then, but more out of choice then necessity, only problem i've had was the chain kept jumping when putting the power down in the higher gears, had to change chain, rear wheel and cassette, works like a dream now, just over 1000 miles on it.

I had the same chain problem with "catching" during a downward gear change the other day on one of my first distance rides (haven't been doing this for long). Hopefully it's not too common on the Triban 3s :( .

Although the bike had a setup when I bought it not long ago, I hoped it was just a case of doing a derailleur adjustment to fix the issue.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Cervelo R5 = £7200

Didn't like it in the end though so broke it down and sold the frame 8 months after buying it! DOH :roll:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Sensa Romagna Custom - £660

Excellent bike.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • A £400 Claude Bultler levante 05 hybrid that after atleast 6000 miles and a complete drive train replacement is still going strong. Reckon that ones paid for itself. I did work out the cost per mile as part of a transport course i did years ago, Think it was about 10p a mile.

£2700 on a full carbon lightspeed L3...Gonna take sometime to pay for itself.
  • Paulj700
    Paulj700 Posts: 76
    2011 Battaglin Start Veloce (now called the S11). Paid £599 reduced from ~£900+ in Wiggle mega deal.

Just looked and they're selling the same bike again now with 105 for £649.
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    Claude Butler Levante around 2004, £300 aluminium frame, full 105 drivetrain except brakes. Upgraded to the Giant Defy 1 with just about the same specs but it cost me a grand.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!