How much was your first MODERN ROAD bike? New or used?

HeatherMillsLeg
HeatherMillsLeg Posts: 90
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Bike has to be made after 1994 - that gives a good spread of "modern"! New or used. 1st road bike - or modern version if you are a vet!

Also if you can work out PENCE per mile based on bike price alone - that's a bikey bonus! If not no worries - I haven't a clue!

Mine was and still is a 2011 Specialized Allez Triple. It was £600 but "cost" me an amount less than that as was an insurance replacement but that's by the by!

I'll start with £600 - 2011 Specialized Allez Triple.

What's yours?

* Edit - 19.52 25/01 - haven't seen anyone who posts on other threads who boasts that they only have a £200 / £2000 bike - waiting for your input....

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    £1100 racelight Tk / 105 triple back in 2007. Still going strong as my one and only bike, so it was a good choice.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Halfords TDF 2011 264 quid
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Giant Defy 2 2011, shop used..£700 iirc. Usurped by A Wilier Granturismo @ £2500 far too soon.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Apollo Tdf thing - 150 from the LBS, bought to communt in London

Ribble Winter/Audax frame and fork 100 squids (heavily reduced due to a tiny bit of cosmetic damage)

SRAM Rival group bought in bits off of here for about 200 squids

Make of that what you will... I ve never actually bought a whole new bike...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Homebuild out of bits in the sales, ali frame, carbon fork, 105 and fulcrum 5s - roughly 800 quid, not changed anything on it but the stem and bars are about to be changed cos I couldn't get comfy on the cheap ones I originally got - built in 2010
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Spesh Allez 2010 (16sp) - £380 from Evans... all in spent over 1k on it!

I like it though.
  • 2011 Raleigh Airlite 400 £539 from Wiggle, covered nearly 6000 miles now.
  • Spesh Allez 2010 (16sp) - £380 from Evans... all in spent over 1k on it!

I like it though.

Made me wonder if mine was a 2010 then seeing that I have spent a fair bit on upgrades - no where near more than I paid for the whole bike though!

Keep it up guys - short and quick.

I like these bike stats.

Backgrounds cool - no arguments or long stories though please - perfect background so far.

Cheers
  • 2011 Raleigh Airlite 400 £539 from Wiggle, covered nearly 6000 miles now.

Stats like these are excellent though - even better if you can work out how much per mile on the price of the original that has cost you -

obviously not taking into account any upgrades, repairs etc.

My maths is limited but I think that works out at 1.13 p a mile. I may be very wrong on that - please advise.

Still - has to be the cheapest and quickest mode of transport going if right!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    edited January 2013
    Scott CR1 Comp, £1350 at the end of 2009 (I'd previously been using a Ribble 653 that I had built in 1991 for £800).

EDIT About 9p per mile for the Scott. The Ribble would be about 2p per mile (it had a rest along with its owner from '97 to '08).
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Carrera TDF last June ~£300

I think I'm on about 30p per mile so far. Though it's about to be relegated to "winter trainer" :lol:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    carrera virtuso ltd 2012 ..£350 from halfords..now winter/turbo bike.
    new steed is giant defy comp2 2013.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • philwint wrote:
    Carrera TDF last June ~£300

I think I'm on about 30p per mile so far. Though it's about to be relegated to "winter trainer" :lol:

Again, on my limited maths that is 300,00 / 300 = 1000 - or 30p a mile.

I'm guessing we can do a mile in 7 minutes or under. Based on that logic a 5 mile journey will take us 35 minutes or under and on that pricing cost £1.50.

What other transport can do that - when you want to go?
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    First Road bike was bought last year, but was in the sale as it was a 2011my BMC SLc01, I think that was £2k (before upgrades).

About to be relegated to beater-ness. Waiting on new roadbike, 7 series Madone (delayed due to DA9070 not ready).

Very steep bike inflation curve...
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Mine was a 2013 Cube Peloton. Bought just before Christmas for £690 (deal as they were £750 everywhere else).
    Done 150 miles so far. £4.50 per mile.
  • Tetley10 wrote:
    Mine was a 2013 Cube Peloton. Bought just before Christmas for £690 (deal as they were £750 everywhere else).

LOL - double that and then half it.

All pretty irrelevant really cos generally people don't buy road bikes to use as commuters.

Anyway - it all helps in the grand scheme of things.

I think most people who cycle, and have realised how quick, and cheap journeys under 10 miles can become - laugh at morons who sit in traffic at rush hour to travel under 5 miles.

The more stats there are for getting on a bike the louder our voice will be.

Just as long as we don't have those idiots on the recent BBC programme that put cycling back 5 years!!!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Orbea Aqua, good deal as it cost £500 down from £650, served me very well until stolen.
  • tetley10
    Tetley10 wrote:

LOL - double that and then half it.

All pretty irrelevant really cos generally people don't buy road bikes to use as commuters.

Anyway - it all helps in the grand scheme of things.

I think most people who cycle, and have realised how quick, and cheap journeys under 10 miles can become - laugh at morons who sit in traffic at rush hour to travel under 5 miles.

The more stats there are for getting on a bike the louder our voice will be.

Just as long as we don't have those idiots on the recent BBC programme that put cycling back 5 years!!!

Yeah my journeys are about 6 miles. I reckon it takes me about 5 minutes longer on the bike during rush hour.
    I had about a kilometre of great filtering this evening.
  • Tetley10 wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:

Yeah my journeys are about 6 miles. I reckon it takes me about 5 minutes longer on the bike during rush hour.

But that is costing you "nothing" might take 5 mins longer but you ain't sitting in traffic & you are getting a workout instead of going to a boring gym.

I bet you are a lot more alert and happy when you get home too!

Win on every level I'd say!
  • tetley10
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:

But that is costing you "nothing" might take 5 mins longer but you ain't sitting in traffic & you are getting a workout instead of going to a boring gym.

I bet you are a lot more alert and happy when you get home too!

Win on every level I'd say!

Oh yeah pal. It's miles better than driving a motor. And I don't have to listen to Talksport on the radio either which is an added bonus :D
    Feel like I've been more productive in work as well, apart from reading these forums and searching for new gear.
  • tetley10
    Bike has to be made after 1994 - that gives a good spread of "modern"! New or used. 1st road bike - or modern version if you are a vet!

Also if you can work out PENCE per mile based on bike price alone - that's a bikey bonus! If not no worries - I haven't a clue!

Mine was and still is a 2011 Specialized Allez Triple. It was £600 but "cost" me an amount less than that as was an insurance replacement but that's by the by!

What's yours?

Have you posted any pictures of your bike ?
  • Tetley10 wrote:

What's yours?

LOL - what's the point? It's here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-24-2011-road-bike-ec025026 but with new wheels, brake calipers, pedals, seat, cables - you ain't gonna notice much difference really apart from the wheels.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Mine was £500 (Trek 1.2), but I upgraded the shifters at point of sale, which made it more like £550, I think.
  • Raleigh Randoneur for me bought second hand in the late 90s. Loved that bike bought for around £500 and did approx 1500 miles. Unfortunately it was stolen but insurance pay out meant it was cycling for free.

After that it has been mountain bikes for a decade or more until I bought a second hand Giant last year. The milage is still relatively low so the cost per mile won't look great so far. Luckily I'm rubbish and unfit so the bike hours per pound spent figures are more impressive.
  • Mine is a Felt Z85 2013 £785 new...
    Had it 2 weeks and still ain't rode it..
  • tetley10
    Tetley10 wrote:

What's yours?

LOL - what's the point? It's here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-24-2011-road-bike-ec025026 but with new wheels, brake calipers, pedals, seat, cables - you ain't gonna notice much difference really apart from the wheels.

Nice wheels.
  • An Apollo Code Hybrid from Halfords, cost me £139. I have done about 500 miles on it, it is now my winter commute bike. I reckon it has done me 28p per mile?
    I now have a Moda as my 'nice' bike, for dry days & long comfy rides!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    2010 Allez, 600 + 1000 in new parts, 22,500 miles, 7p per mile
    Trek T1 fixie, 300 second hand in August, about a grand again in bits, 3,600 miles and counting, about 40p
  • nik6158
    nik6158 Posts: 32
    2012 carrera tdf £350 + shimano rs10 wheelset now covered about 1500 miles
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    2009 Boardman Road Team (alu) - bought new for £700, down from £849 list, with a free carbon bottle cage as I remember 8). Sold frame and other bits a while back to fund a winter bike build, but the original Rival groupset and Ritchey DS Pro wheels still going strong. Remember looking at the catalogue after cleaning the bike 6 months after I'd bought it and saw they (Halfords) had put the lower spec forks on my bike. Went back to shop and they actually said, "I'm glad you've come in, we've had a spare pair of Road Team forks hanging around the workshop for ages and wondered where they'd come from" :roll: !
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...