Convert/adapt flat pedals to spd?

winerwalker
winerwalker Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Can I convert or adapt one side of flat pedals to spd?
I got an MTB primarily for cycling in to the big Scottish hills to save hours of walking along tracks, so it's got flat pedals to take my walking boots.
But of course, I'm using it all the time now as an MTB should be - offroad, woodland tracks, steep chalky gullies, etc, near my SE home.
So does anyone know of a way of adapting flat pedals to use with the spd shoes/cleats I use on a road bike?

thanks

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just get two sets of pedals.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    I got an MTB primarily for cycling in to the big Scottish hills to save hours of walking along tracks, so it's got flat pedals to take my walking boots.
    But of course, I'm using it all the time now as an MTB should be - offroad, woodland tracks, steep chalky gullies, etc, near my SE home.
    So does anyone know of a way of adapting flat pedals to use with the spd shoes/cleats I use on a road bike?

thanks
    Presumably single sided spd's are what you are looking for.
    Like so http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic+Search+Ads+Cycle&referid=googwig&gclid=COyJkaTijLgCFVMftAoda3wAtQ

Shimano%20PD%20A530a.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mcnultycop wrote:
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    SPD's are like £20 or so, and dual sided pedals are the worst of both worlds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Aha! tks both.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheapest SPDS I've found are sub £15 delivered for Shimano M520's on Amazon....similar prices can be found on ebay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    mcnultycop wrote:

WRONG!

2 bikes is what you want, obvs.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740

thanks
    So... what are you wanting SPDs for?
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    ^^^^^ This, if you don't fancy faffing, get a good set of flats and a good grippy pair of riding shoes and then theres no need to change. Most things you adapt to do two jobs end up working half as well as something designed to do one
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Shimano%20PD%20A530a.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

these type of pedals are great if you are selling them as any MTBer will be back for either some flats or some SPDs as this idea really seems the best of both worlds but in fact is the worst of all.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown