Audi estates- why is it always an Audi estate?

cedargreen
cedargreen Posts: 189
edited June 2013 in Road general
Out on the bike and it seemed the gods were smiling: a big lorry waited patiently behind instead of squeezing past; out on the forest roads a huge pink cadillac convertible pulled over to let me through.

Then coming back into town I'm at a junction with 3 lanes- one goes straight ahead, two go right (clearly indicated on signs and large painted arrows on road. I'm waiting at the lights in the middle lane (ie the right turning lane). On the lights, a gree arrow for straight on goes on first, while the light for turning right is still red. I hear a toot from behind and when I look round I see the driver of the car behind me gesticulating wildly. I decide to give him the 'gallic shrug' , as I simply don't know what he's on about. When the lights turn to green I turn right and he roars off straight ahead- he was in the wrong lane and presumably thought I should get out of his way.

No harm done, but the car was......an Audi estate. Why oh why oh why is it always an Audi estate? It can't just be the same one driving round and round like a c*** wherever I happen to be. And it's not just on the bike- it's the same when I'm walking or driving.

Any Audi estate owners out there who can explain this? Maybe all that 'Vorsprung durch technik' crap with its masterrace subtext appeals to arrogant tossers. But why always the estate version? In some ways it's quite considerate of all the tossers to choose the same sort of car as it makes them easier to identify. In this case for example, when I turned round and saw it was an Audi estate, I knew instantly that he was just a c*** , whereas if it was pretty much any other kind of car i might have wondered whether the tooting and gesticulating was a desperate attempt to draw my attention to some approaching hazard such as stampeding cattle or a meteorite.

But why the Audi estate?

Comments

• gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    Didn't you get the memo? Audi's are the new BMW's...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Is it the car or the driver?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    I have two Audi estates (good cars, even old knackers like mine), but sorry can't explain it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    goonz wrote:
    Is it the car or the driver?

Of course the drivers choose the cars.

Had a strange one last night, driving on the A1(M) guy in a black Merc started tailgating me, yet when the traffic cleared I pulled away from him easily, but then when it slowed down, he was back up my arse. But he spent the entire time leaned over to the left, like he was trying to get something from the passenger footwell, but this went on for a good 10 minutes until I pulled over to get rid of him. He gave me a look as he went past, still leaning right over.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    gllewellyn wrote:
    Didn't you get the memo? Audi's are the new BMW's...

I haven't really had a problem with them, but a guy in work swears the above is true (mind you, he started to say this around the time his mrs got a BMW as a company car. Prior to that he had been a big BMW hater :roll: Oh how we laughed :mrgreen: )
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    If it help my ex boss drove an audi rs6 and not only was he the most dangerous driver ive ever come across and regularly taunted cyclists in mallorca and drove at insane speed, he was also a cu@t and to top it all off he was french. Grrrr rant over
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    Hmmmmm, interesting. I have always found it to be Audi A3 drivers!

BMW 1 Series drivers are little better, and anyone in a C Class Mercedes is to be avoided also.

In the case of the Audi and BMW drivers - they are just plain aggressive and are convinced of their superiority on the road. They are as bad with other drivers as they are cyclists.

As for C Class Mercedes drivers - they seem to have to prove that despite it 'only' being a C Class, they are as 'fast' and 'superior' as the E Class, which they all desperately wish they had instead. They are a menace.

A white C Class Estate is possibly the most dangerous car on the road - they all drive like maniacs!

I love sweeping generalisations - it's such fun :D
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • markhewitt1978
    jouxplan wrote:

When cycling in Mallorca I noticed a complete absence of BMW's, not entirely complete actually, I did see one BMW, the one close pass I had the entire time I was there!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    It isn't always an Audi estate. Yesterday it was a coach and a VW that tried to kill me.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Hyundai i10 driver here... I look up to everybody
  • Ian_d
    Ian_d Posts: 69
    Things don't change,15 years ago when I used to ride a motorbike and it was always Volvo estate drivers with a SIPS sticker on the rear window. Rumour had it SIPS stood for Schhhhh Inside Person Sleeping.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Now on Tuesday, it was a crappy old fiesta that did a u-turn in front of me - I had a nice chat with the old lady driving about how she didn't actually have right of way even if she did think she was turning at a roundabout (she wasn't, it was just a little circle painted on the floor at a railway station that she'd managed to avoid completely - and a merc estate that thought speeding up towards me when he saw me going past some parked cars was a way to emphasise his masculinity. Luckily I managed to squeeze into a gap.

Wednesdays commute to work and home were fine though in case you were wondering. :)
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Range Rovers for me....particularly white ones!!

In fact one of my favourite websites is called http://you-parklikeacunt.tumblr.com/

They refer to the white Range Rovers colour as 'Chav C*nt White'!!
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    I drive an Audi estate, it causes quite a paradox for me. I hate myself for riding a bike when I drive and I hate myself for driving an Audi when I ride.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Round my parts, drivers are quite respectful and considerate. I haven't been overtaken at such close proximity for a long time, till today. I didn't take notice of the car make, but in retrospect, it was an Audi estate too. In my early days, I'd launch an attack and jump on its wheel and have a word with the driver but was far too knackered after my interval sesh. Instead I let out a spontaneous yell to my surprise of the maneuver.
  • jouxplan
    crispybug2 wrote:

In fact one of my favourite websites is called http://you-parklikeacunt.tumblr.com/

:D:D I just had tears rolling down my face laughing at the various descriptions on those photo's! Love it!! That's someone who really knows how to deploy a swear word!
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    jouxplan wrote:
    Hmmmmm, interesting. I have always found it to be Audi A3 drivers!

BMW 1 Series drivers are little better, and anyone in a C Class Mercedes is to be avoided also.

In the case of the Audi and BMW drivers - they are just plain aggressive and are convinced of their superiority on the road. They are as bad with other drivers as they are cyclists.

As for C Class Mercedes drivers - they seem to have to prove that despite it 'only' being a C Class, they are as 'fast' and 'superior' as the E Class, which they all desperately wish they had instead. They are a menace.

A white C Class Estate is possibly the most dangerous car on the road - they all drive like maniacs!

Oi!

photo24ez.jpg

(to be fair, it's now been swapped for a silver one!)

I am not only a superb and courteous driver, I am rich, handsome, incredibly witty and hung like a horse. To boot, I regularly average 30mph up cat 5 climbs. On my daughters bike.
    Insert bike here:
  • markhewitt1978
    crispybug2 wrote:

Fantastic! It's the sad fact that 97% of what makes cycling less pleasurable is motor traffic, not just moving but stopped to!

The other 3% is made up of my lack of fitness, the weather, and having to work for a living ;)
  • jouxplan
    mpatts wrote:

Oi!

photo24ez.jpg

:mrgreen:
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    i'm not even gonna get started on this or i'l be typing til the morning....nuff said :P :P
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    A big car makes you feel untouchable, and a big engine means you can drive fast.

Audi estates are big cars with big engines so you get a load of idiots driving too fast because they think that they're invincible.

Oh and they are usually driven by mums. Don't know if that's significant or not? perhaps one to ask over on mumsnet?
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I have an audi a4 estate , yes i admit it i love it!!!!

I thought about it very carefully and decided if i bought an audi when i'm out on my bike i'm safe because its parked up at home and i have no fear of being run over!!!!!! simples!!

anyway its bmw's , merc's and white vans i really fear but couldn't afford to buy one of each of those!

You have got me thinking though, the other day i was driving my daughter into our local town along a country lane and when i passed the only house on the road the man cutting his grass in front of his house gave me a load of abuse as i passed and more as i looked back in the wing mirror. I've been wondering why ever since but maybe its because i drive an Audi.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    New car and new bike!!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    New car and new bike!!

err... who said its new!!!!!!!

anyway you have new bike, new van....
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    jouxplan wrote:
    In the case of the Audi and BMW drivers - they are just plain aggressive and are convinced of their superiority on the road.

To be fair, I have an Audi estate (so I can get my Addict in the back) and as a former racing driver, I am a superior driver than most. I'm also fitter than most so I'm also superior when cycling. The only reason I bought the expensive Audi (for cash, no credit required) was to demonstrate my superiority over all the st!tty plebs on the roads in their clapped-out Corsas and Mondeos.

I'm not agressive though, just very smug and very very rich.