Upgrade or Buy again?

Tom_Y2K4
Tom_Y2K4 Posts: 26
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I posted the other day with an introduction that i'd just purchased a BeOne Cyber to try and get my MTB mojo back :)

I've hit somewhat of a juncture with the bike however...

I've booked it in for a gear and brake service as the gears are in need of some work and, despite my limited knowledge, my efforts to resolve this issue has somewhat fallen flat!

In my tinkering i noticed that there is a lot of play on the RH shifter (9 spd deore quick fire) on the change down, the lever has to be pushed/directed up into the handlebar to get the shift to 'pick up'. I was looking to replace this before getting the gears serviced (kind of made sense to get it set up once and get it done right).

Problem i now have however is that i have dual control shifter/brake pods... So if i want to replace them like for like i'm looking at (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40548) £50 for the pair. Yes i could go to ebay and get them slightly cheaper (i'd have thought) but its still money i'd rather not be spending... PLUS this then influences/limits what i can do with braking options going forward.

I was always looking to get some hydraulic discs... And to do so i'm pretty sure i'd need to upgrade/change both wheels/hubs to accommodate. So i'd be looking at more £££ on top...

And thats before i look to upgrade the forks.......

So after much waffle, my basic question(s):-

- Is it worth upgrading the brake/shifter before a service?
- How can i determine if i'd need to upgrade my wheels/hubs to accommodate disc brakes
- If i do need to, how much am i looking at for an entry level set-up (hub/wheel)
- Are there any real benefit of HDB over V brakes for a weekend rider?
- Is it worth just getting the gears set up and selling the bike on, spending a little extra cash and getting something already ticking all my boxes?

This is where i realise that despite loving the idea of a Project bike, I don't necc have the desire to cover my elaborate dreams... :lol:

Cheers,

Tom

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The shifting just sounds like the cable tension is wrong.
    As for the rest I doubt you actually need discs, but if you do buy a new bike.
    Read ‘Read this first’ below to see how to do things – you can’t take a bike in every time it needs a tweak – you’d never ride the thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tom_Y2K4
    Tom_Y2K4 Posts: 26
    cooldad wrote:
    The shifting just sounds like the cable tension is wrong.
    As for the rest I doubt you actually need discs, but if you do buy a new bike.
    Read ‘Read this first’ below to see how to do things – you can’t take a bike in every time it needs a tweak – you’d never ride the thing.

I did wonder if it would be but wasn't sure... hence the rabble on here!

Thanks for the link, looks really useful :)