I've bought a rockhopper.......

noblebikes
noblebikes Posts: 75
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,
as the title says, I've bought a specialized rockhopper comp 29er,
I am a bike mechanic and i want to hit some challenging trails this summer, and thats why i bought this bike,
Really i only wanted the Frame but it is difficult to find as just a frame, i love the stealth paint job and the geometry suits me well,
So i am going to strip my bike down and replace everything! Which should be fun ;)
heres the sort of spec I'm looking at getting
Full XT 10 speed chainset (shifters, mechs and chainset)
Hope m4 stealth brakes
Hope or chis king bottom brackets and headsets
Hope f20 pedals
Easton ec90 (or equivalent) handlebars
Fizik arione seat
Easton ec90 (or equivalent) seatpost

Now for the parts I need help with....
I'm stuck between building my own set of 29" wheels, something like halo freedom rims laced to hope pro 2 hubs OR to get some more expensive Mavic crossmax ST 29 wheels??

I'm also stuck between forks,
Its either fox or DT swiss forks around the £500-£700 mark, I want a tapered steerer and a 15mm thru axle

So basically i need help knowing which wheels and which forks i should get.....

I'm doing this frame up nice so if i do come across a carbon frame i can just swap the parts over :)

So advice please guys! :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How much do you weigh?
  • noblebikes
    i weigh around 80kg
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I'm intrigued as to why you bought it to rebuild, when there is a huge choice of other frames out there... :?
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • noblebikes
    well again, I really like the geometry, also i got it from work at a discounted price.
    i also need to use the bike to get to work while i decide what parts to get, and save the ££££ to get them
    I build a lot of bikes so i'm sure the parts off this bike will come in handy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't need Halo Freedom rims then. This is an XC bike, the rims weigh 550g each. I'd be looking at Stans Crest or Arch EX on DT240 hubs, will be a much lighter and better wheelset,

Fork wise I'd go for a Rockshox SID RCT3 or RLT3. Highly adjustable, light, very good for the money.

I'd alos look at upgrading some bits to XTR like the shifters. You could save money on pedals (can get just as good for a third the price), and put the money to the XTR. Same with brakes, are simply better than Hope for this cash (and less), and headset too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pretty much with SS
    Wheels those or a Superstar/Crest build for a bit less
    SIDs all the way
    Brakes XTR/Formula the one or Magura MT8. Not Hope....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.