Shimano XT HG94 HG-X 10 speed chain

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I note that the new XT Dyna-sys drivetrain says to only use HG-X chains with it. I have two questions.

I've read a number of reports the XT HG94 HG-X chains snapping fairly easily or after low mileage. Is this an accurate impression or are people getting decent mileage from them? I assume the wear will be quicker than a 9 speed (which is what I have now) due to it being thinner.

With the chain being directional, can you use a SRAM quick link to join the chain instead of the Shimano pin system and will it affect the shifting in any way?

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    They do have a bit of a reputation for being made of cheese I believe, though I had one on my old bike and didn't snap it. Sold the bike after 500 miles or so, no idea how its getting on now.

I actually used a 9 speed powerlink on it and it was fine.

My advice would be to get a KMC chain.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    OK I'll consider the KMC. Would shifting quality be affected do you think with the KMC?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    no as long as its cut to length properly it'll be the same. shimano just put that on their stuff to make you think you need their chains i reckon.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Any 10 speed chain will be OK. And you can use different makes of quick/speed links. A 9 speed link will get you home but 10 speed will be better longer term.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20