leeds liverpool canal tyres

brinko1
brinko1 Posts: 11
edited May 2013 in Routes
Has anyone cycled the leeds Liverpool canal I am doing it next month on my mtb and not sure about tyres at the moment I have schwalbe marathon plus tyres 1.75 or would I be better off with bigger tyres.

Cheers

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I'm off to Liverpool tomoz to cycle the canal route back to Leeds, over the weekend. I've gone back to my old Specialized Crossroads tyres (1.95), a bit heavy but pretty bomb-proof; expecting mix of gravel, pavement, concrete, tarmac and a few little grassy sections, so pumped up high the central ridge gives really low rolling resistance. Deflated a bit the side walls give enough grip. Not expecting much muddy or boggy stuff to go through so my focus was on least possible rolling resistance.
    I'd think you are fine on a set of Marathon plusses
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I can't recommend any tyres specifically, but I can tell you that from Skipton to Leeds at least, there's nothing that you couldn't do easily on the type of tyres that come on hybrid type bikes (a lot of it you could do no worries on a road bike). From Bingley to Leeds it forms the 17 mile "Aire Valley Towpath Route", maintained for walkers and cyclists, much of which is well surfaced gravel path. It takes you right past Salts Mill in Saltaire village, so if you fancy stopping for a few minutes window shopping All Terrain Cycles is worth a look.
  • Kowalski675
    I've just Googled Schwalbe Marathon plus. Dunno about the other side of the Pennines, but you'll be fine on those this side.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I often run and ride between Keighley and Skipton, you'll be fine with any tyre at this time of the year.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Sprool
    Back from this weekend ride on the Liverpool-Leeds. We did it in 2 days, Liverpool to Accrington = 68 miles, Accrington - Leeds = 64 miles. Having never attempted a long ride like this before my whole body is aching and my right knee is shot, but a great feeling of achievement.
    I used my old Specialized Crossroads tyres (1.95), they were fine - really good for the long fast sections of tarmac and hard dry path, but less good for the slippery grassy rutted sections encountered. On these sections I'd not be happy on anything less than 1.95's. Our group was inundated by puctures on the first 30 miles from Liverpool (14 punctures), it was a nightmare. I was one of only 2 of us not to suffer a puncture.
    Seems they have been trimming all the hawthorn hedges along the canal banks and you have no choice but to pick up a few thorns en-route. This really slowed up progress on the first damp morning. After lunch at Burscough things cleared up a bit.
    The hardest slog was on the damp grass sections which seemed to be exposed to headwinds, theres a few exposed 2 or 3 mile sections on both days where you'd benefit from a wider knobbly tyre, but the majority of the route is well paved and well maintained; a low rollong resistance tyre cruises along with ease and you can get a bit of energy back for the more rutted sections later.
  • brinko1
    brinko1 Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info mate by the way how long did it take you.
  • Sprool
    first day took 9.5 hours with all the punctures and lunch/coffee stops. Day 2 took about 7.5 hours, weather kinder and only one puncture between us all day :) Its a really great route, very diverse urban/industrial/rural surroundings, and only 2 offensive dog owners with evil scowling faces, most people out for a walk or other cyclists are happy to share the trail as long as you dont sneak up on people without ringing your bells, or thunder along past families with kids on the loose :)
  • SuperOwl86
    SuperOwl86 Posts: 23
    Can I just ask is this mostly off road?

Looking for routes I can do but with my visual impairment dont want to be using any roads unless its only to cross.

Enjoyed the thread and gives me great hope that I can actually ride to places rather than being stuck at the local reservoir.

SuperOwl
  • Sprool
    There's about 1 mile on road, the rest is entirely canal paths. The tunnel section on day 2 at Hey, which also marks the highest elevation of the ride, you have to leave the canal and join a narrow country road for a short stretch to a rather nice cafe stop, then it's back on the tow path again towards Barnoldswick.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/53821427
  • Kowalski675
    SuperOwl86 wrote:
    Can I just ask is this mostly off road?

Looking for routes I can do but with my visual impairment dont want to be using any roads unless its only to cross.

Enjoyed the thread and gives me great hope that I can actually ride to places rather than being stuck at the local reservoir.

SuperOwl

Have a look on here, mate (national cycle network), hope it might be of use to you:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/info ... le-network

If you click on "browse routes" you'll find the Aire Valley Towpath section (Bingley to Leeds) of the Leeds/Liverpool canal, amongst other things. Wherabouts are you based?
  • SuperOwl86
    SuperOwl86 Posts: 23
    Thanks guys I am based in Sheffield about 5 mins from Rother Valley Country Park. Which is the place that has got me going with the route from there through to Chesterfield.
  • Kowalski675
    No worries, I was gonna suggest a couple of possibilities if you were near this area, but hopefully you'll find something suitable in that link.