A Bicycle for the Mrs

Calpol
Calpol Posts: 1,039
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Dear learned forumites

I am looking for a bit of input to help my search for a bike for Mrs Calpol.

A bit of background
She currently has a Specialized Myka MTB. Originally bought 18 months ago to go on family rides after we had a good time hiring MTB on holiday. Since then she has been an occasional rider but seems to be getting keener. She prefers road riding and has used it with some Schwalbe City Jet slicks. Yesterday she did the Evans Ride it event in Milton Keynes and despite the challenging headwind she seems quite encourage. For weeks I have been explaining about the benefits of having a road bike or hybrid for riding sportives etc. She is committed to doing a Coast to Coast (following the hadrian wall) in June.

Does anyone have any experience or insight as to where the value lies in the womens road bike market. It doesnt have to be a womens specific bike but it would probably help as she is quite girly.

I have shortlisted the usual suspects
Specialized Dolce, Giant Avail, Trek Lexa - my view on a lot of those is that you are paying a lot for the brand and £ for £ they arent the best value.

Other options
Merida Ride Lite, Ribble Sportive 7005, Scott Contessa,Boardman fi.

My budget is about £500. Don't mind buying 2nd hand but could do with narrowing down my Ebay search a bit.

Any ideas? TIA

Comments

• infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Mrs Calpol should have a much better bile than you then you'll enjoy her keeping up with you when you go out together :)
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Well its arrived and seems to fit pretty well. Going to be a voyage of discovery for Mrs C for a week or two as she gets used to riding a road bike. Good service from Hargroves and TNT. Will take some better pics for the Your Road Bike Thread.

BTW - Stem won't be getting slammed

2013-05-04%2012.04.51.jpg
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Calpol wrote:
    Well its arrived and seems to fit pretty well. Going to be a voyage of discovery for Mrs C for a week or two as she gets used to riding a road bike. Good service from Hargroves and TNT. Will take some better pics for the Your Road Bike Thread.

BTW - Stem won't be getting slammed

2013-05-04%2012.04.51.jpg

Nice bike. I hope she enjoys it.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!