Google - "People also search for"

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Dunno why but I had the urge to find out what Kim Kirchen was up to these days so put his name into Google. On the right hand side of the results screen popped up a short profile about him with a section "People also searched for" underneath the profile.

The results being a right motley crew...... Riccardo Ricco, Stefan Schumacher, Bernhard Kohl, Frank Schleck and Leonardo Piepoli!

Comments

• I've been quite impressed with Google's knowledge of 'Cross riders.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    hammerite wrote:
    Dunno why but I had the urge to find out what Kim Kirchen was up to these days so put his name into Google. On the right hand side of the results screen popped up a short profile about him with a section "People also searched for" underneath the profile.

The results being a right motley crew...... Riccardo Ricco, Stefan Schumacher, Bernhard Kohl, Frank Schleck and Leonardo Piepoli!
    All of them (including Kirchen) were notable players in the 2008 Tour de France
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RichN95 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

All of them (including Kirchen) were notable players in the 2008 Tour de France

Yes they were. In random searches of other riders it seems to throw up a slightly more mixed bag, rather than notable riders of one race. If that's the case why no Carlos Sastre, Cadel Evans (wasn't it 2008 when he seemed to have some personality problems and was fairly prominent?) or Andy Schleck?

BTW I'm not expecting there to be some Google conspiracy, I just found the people searched for outcome quite amusing in this case. I'd not really paid too much attention up to this point.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    Google adjusts results and recommendations based on your IP adress history of google searches and other sites visited.