Commiting - what to do?

negativelycra
negativelycra Posts: 225
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hi Forum,

I've got a conundrum..

I want to start commuting to work, but neither of my bikes are currently suitable. I need to carry a laptop, change of clothes etc. I want to avoid making excuses to use the car when it looks overcast / wet.

I have these 2:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/4500
Trek hardtail withpannier eyes.
Would need:
Proper mudguards
Panniers

Frustration - If I put panniers and commuting mudguards on it, I'll probably not use it offroad much!
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-gtr-series-1-2012/
GT road bike
No pannier eyes
Has crud roadracer 2's.
Frustration - It's my only road bike - I don't want to kill it as I use it for long rides and TT's. It would be the best bike in the office bike rack, or at least look like it.

So, what is the best plan? I've thought of:
1 Make the trek a commuter, fit panniers, and admit I mainly ride on roads in eves / weekends etc.
2 Fit panniers to the GT somehow, hope it doesn't end up costing a load.
3 Sell the trek, buy a cheap commuter spec road bike.

Any advice welcome. Even if it's "n+1", which I can't due to storage issues.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    N+1

Use a rucksack and take what ever bike suits the conditions. Hard tail if its shoot, road bike if its not.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    +1 on the above - I'm a rucksack user and it works for me, plus you can switch bikes whenever. With respect, your mis-spell of 'commiting' rather than 'commuting' is actully the answer; you really have to 'commit to commuting' and just deal with any issues that come up. Once you decide that the bike is the best way to work for you, you won't let anything get in the way of that. I'm certainly glad I did so as my cycling and my fitness is on a completely different level since I began regular commuting about 5 years ago. Wish you well with it.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    It a real PITA to chop and change the bike setup between work and play. Pick one bike for work, set it up with rack, mudguards, lights, some tough, slick, road tyres.
    If you had to pick, I would say, roadify your MTB and play on your roadbike, at least for the summer season.
  • What ^^^ said.
    I was in the same position as you and ended up roadifying my cheapest MTB. Locked-out the fork, bought some conti travel contact tyres and some crud catchers.
    Just make sure that you buy a decent backpack (waterproof, with waist and chest straps to take the weight of your laptop and kit), and you will be fine.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Sell the Trek, buy a cyclocross bike with mudguard and pannier mounts. They're fine on easier MTB trails from what I read.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    forget the panniers (and the rucksack if you commute any distance) and get a carradice saddlebag with the quick release system.

job done!! (I'm pretty sure they do one that could be used for a laptop, go to their website to check).

Basically it'll still be a road bike when you want it to be as the bag just comes off...no messing about putting a rack on either :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm not a fan of laptops in panniers - I've lost one hard drive so far and I've put that down to the vibrations encountered whilst strapped to the rack - but this was a long time ago and things change - eitherway I'd want to ensure it a) wasn't me that had to pay for a replacement disk and b) I had a suitable backup.
    You could always change the HDD to an SSD ... it's faster (but more expensive) too ...

Anyway - back to the bikes ... the bad thing about having 2 play bikes that you want for commuting is that your commuting needs are different.

I have a CX and a road bike - I'll commute on either - but ideally the CX will be used for wet weather as I can put mudguards on it (although it was wet today and I brought the road bike ... go figure!).
    I store clothes & shoes at work so I only need to bring in the minimal amount + lunch - I can fit it all in a small rucksack (camelpack sized) - if it's particularly wet then I can just put the clothing into a plastic bag inside the rucksack or just wear it underneath my jacket.
    The issue is how you get you and your cycling clothes dry after a wet ride - I'm fortunate in that I have my own office so I can just hang the stuff up - I've even hung my (and a colleagues) clothes in front of a fan to dry them out in time to return home. Waterproof overshoes are a must!

You don't need mudguards - although they are advisable in the wet - but if you want to ensure you've got play bikes to hand then you'll need to be able to fit and remove the mudguards quickly ...
  • Thanks for the advice guys. Some food for thought, the varied viewpoints sort of echo my own internal debate! Why is n+1 always the answer?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    http://static.environmentalgraffiti.com ... 600Q85.jpg

Think you should be ok with a few panniers.... :mrgreen:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    Thanks for the advice guys. Some food for thought, the varied viewpoints sort of echo my own internal debate! Why is n+1 always the answer?

Because you can never have enough bikes! Number of bikes being n... :mrgreen:
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Do you do "proper" MTBing and need a full MTB? Could you sell it and get a hybrid (or cyclocross as mentioned)?

I've got a hybrid and it'll handle stony trails, forest trails etc. Can't throw myself down steep slopes or over really rough ground on it, but it'll do the basics. On the other hand, it has roadie-sized wheels and lockout front suspension for the tarmac journey to work. I started commuting on a very cheap, very ancient MTB and riding it on road was a bit miserable as I was so slow. My hybrid flies along the road and is respectable for basic off-roading.

I have a pannier rack but haven't bothered with mudguards. I commute in sportswear and change at work so I don't mind getting a bit splattered. I'll put in a vote for panniers - I absolutely hated getting rucksack sweaty back. And the same weight in panniers feels a lot less than it does when it's on your shoulders. Even if you keep the MTB, putting a rack on it shouldn't put you off using it for fun. The rack's behind you so you don't notice what it looks like when you're riding it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Put rigid forks on the Trek, new tyres, maybe bar ends - job done.
  • russboy
    russboy Posts: 436
    Rucksack all the way, I get my office clothes in there, gym clothes for lunchtime, lunch, tools in case of breakdown & badminton rackets as well if im playing that day instead of going to the gym.
  • goonz
    Russboy wrote:
    Rucksack all the way, I get my office clothes in there, gym clothes for lunchtime, lunch, tools in case of breakdown & badminton rackets as well if im playing that day instead of going to the gym.

Did you mean suitcase? :shock:
  • russboy
    goonz wrote:
    Russboy wrote:

Did you mean suitcase? :shock:

Lol, no, but it is a fair size & weight, Monday mornings are the worst.

I leave my office shoes at the office so I dont have to carry them though.

Got a "Swissgear" rucksack, pretty sturdy item!
  • goonz
    I leave all my work clothes at work, all i take each day is a fresh shirt and underwear and socks. I use a tiny rucksack.

I also got a spare gym kit at work on the off chance I decide to go to it. No reason to carry it all everyday....
  • russboy
    goonz wrote:
    I leave all my work clothes at work, all i take each day is a fresh shirt and underwear and socks. I use a tiny rucksack.

I also got a spare gym kit at work on the off chance I decide to go to it. No reason to carry it all everyday....

Likewise, take shirt & trousers in for work everyday, shoes always there.

Mon take in trainers, tracksuit bottoms & tshirt for gym, Tue shorts, t-shirt rackets etc etc. So worse day is Mon as I have trainers as well, just need double of everything!

Trouble is I do go every day, Mon, Wed, Fri gym, Tue, Thu badminton, then stay at work for 3 hrs of badminton on a Fri night.

Lots of washing done in my house!!!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I know people who use the Alpkit Gourdon rucsacs for carrying laptops.

They are 100% waterproof (drybag closure and I have used it kayaking with my phone and kindle) and I have also used the 20-litre version for my commute when I am not using panniers for some reason - say on my CX bike.

The trouble is that they are sold out until May at the moment, but at £22.50 and with great customer service they are pretty decent.
  • pinkteapot
    I can't leave my lock at work so that's the bulk of the weight I carry!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pinkteapot wrote:
    I don't need a lock - the bike sits in the office with me! :)
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    pinkteapot wrote:

Why on earth not? People leave D locks all over the place without permission, if your work has a beef leave it just outside.
  • pinkteapot
    I work at a University. My office is too far from the bike park to leave my bike there while I run up to my office to get the lock (10 minute round trip). We're not allowed to leave locks attached to the bike rack - estates periodically come round and cut them to remove them.

Although I've got an Abus Granit so I'd like to see them try and remove mine. :twisted:
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    How far is the commute?
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Carradice with a SQR bracket on each bike. That's what I've got, I can switch between my road and mountain bike easy :)