700 disc wheels

2»

Comments

• Ah cheers, I'll be getting a well respected LBS to build them for me... Wheel building is way beyond my capabilities at the moment. Cheers for the feedback and help man.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Hey all,

I've been looking at upgrading the wheels on my do-it-all steed (Charge Filter Apex) as the stock wheels are pretty, ahem, "sturdy" - good for my fitness levels but it'd be nice to have a more sprightly set of hoops for longer rides & they'd be an investment in the long run as the price of metal might go up sharply or something...

Now - i'd been looking at Hope hubs (had various pairs on MTBs over the years & never had a problem) built onto either Stans Crest 29er / Archetype / Open Pro CD, however having read through this thread & looked up those Novatec D711/D712 efforts - i'm leaning towards having a pop at lacing my own Novatec/Open pro CD combo, I have a wheelbuilding book pdf (Roger Musson?) & some mild enthusiasm and feel like giving it a bash (can always give them to the lbs if I get out of my depth)

Does anyone have any pointers they could lend? Where's the best place to source the hubs (ebay?) spokes etc?

I've looked at Ugo's wheel building blog & there's some handsome creations there all right - I notice you use spoke washers, are these generally a good idea?

Any tips much appreciated!

Cheers
    john
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    mcj78 wrote:
    Hey all,

I've been looking at upgrading the wheels on my do-it-all steed (Charge Filter Apex) as the stock wheels are pretty, ahem, "sturdy" - good for my fitness levels but it'd be nice to have a more sprightly set of hoops for longer rides & they'd be an investment in the long run as the price of metal might go up sharply or something...

Now - i'd been looking at Hope hubs (had various pairs on MTBs over the years & never had a problem) built onto either Stans Crest 29er / Archetype / Open Pro CD, however having read through this thread & looked up those Novatec D711/D712 efforts - i'm leaning towards having a pop at lacing my own Novatec/Open pro CD combo, I have a wheelbuilding book pdf (Roger Musson?) & some mild enthusiasm and feel like giving it a bash (can always give them to the lbs if I get out of my depth)

Does anyone have any pointers they could lend? Where's the best place to source the hubs (ebay?) spokes etc?

I've looked at Ugo's wheel building blog & there's some handsome creations there all right - I notice you use spoke washers, are these generally a good idea?

Any tips much appreciated!

Cheers
    john

Yes, they are a good idea, I wrote a recent piece on them as well

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/content/rings-gold
    left the forum March 2023
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634

Yes, they are a good idea, I wrote a recent piece on them as well

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/content/rings-gold

Great, cheers - i'll get some of those when it's starting to come together, just looking at assembling the required bits as cheaply as possible just now!

j
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    supersonic wrote:
    Nice set of 700c/135mm disc wheels here:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -rims.html

Will these wheels from Merlin Cycles be a good upgrade for my new Norco A2 Threshold CX bike. Was looking for something lighter and quicker on tarmac. I won't be using them off-road but commuting to work.

My existing wheels are stock which came with the bike, basic alloy hubs with WTB SX17 700c rims.

Here is my bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... 8#features

I only weigh 55kg. My pannier load is about 8kg for work commute. Tyres will be Conti GP-4 Season 28mm. My dropout is 135mm.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is hard to say really! There is little info out there on those rims, and the hubs are non descript: personally I wouldn't change them, but consider the wheelset if you damage them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    supersonic wrote:

Will these wheels from Merlin Cycles be a good upgrade for my new Norco A2 Threshold CX bike. Was looking for something lighter and quicker on tarmac. I won't be using them off-road but commuting to work.

My existing wheels are stock which came with the bike, basic alloy hubs with WTB SX17 700c rims.

Here is my bike

I only weigh 55kg. My pannier load is about 8kg for work commute. Tyres will be Conti GP-4 Season 28mm. My dropout is 135mm.

If you are in London, I have a set of DT Swiss 465 rims which have been used by a customer for one year and then replaced as soon as the first wear indicators disappeared... they are excellent rims still in good conditions, except for the wear of the brake track, light, but cannot be built for rim brakes anymore, but they have still plenty of life as disc brake wheels. They are worth 100 pounds a pair when new. I am happy to build them for you if you supply the hubs, the rims will be free of charge as the alternative for me is taking them to the local recycling centre... or removing all the eyelets and take them to the metal scrap in return for 40 pence... not exactly worth to bother... :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are they better rims though?
  • ugo.santalucia
    supersonic wrote:
    Are they better rims though?

Depends what one is looking for... they are road rims, not 29er, can do a bit of off road with tyres up to 32-35 mm max. Quality wise they are there with the best. They are the best 700c road rims DT swiss makes in my view
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    supersonic wrote:

Here is my bike

If you are in London, I have a set of DT Swiss 465 rims which have been used by a customer for one year and then replaced as soon as the first wear indicators disappeared... they are excellent rims still in good conditions, except for the wear of the brake track, light, but cannot be built for rim brakes anymore, but they have still plenty of life as disc brake wheels. They are worth 100 pounds a pair when new. I am happy to build them for you if you supply the hubs, the rims will be free of charge as the alternative for me is taking them to the local recycling centre... or removing all the eyelets and take them to the metal scrap in return for 40 pence... not exactly worth to bother... :?

Thanks Ugo. I don't live in London though. I'm Bristol based so not sure if cost effective.
    I don't intend to use the rims off-road, just want faster and lighter road wheels with hubs that roll well. If they can be posted down to Bristol I'm happy to take them. Let me know the cost of hubs as I don't know which ones are most suitable. I could remove the rotors from existing wheels which are 6-bolt.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    at the risk of hijacking the thread, if you had to decide... TB14 or Archetype and would the RR465 be worth a £10 per wheel jump?

being used on a CX for commuting and front disc with longer weekend rides
  • ugo.santalucia
    gbsahne wrote:
    at the risk of hijacking the thread, if you had to decide... TB14 or Archetype and would the RR465 be worth a £10 per wheel jump?

I don't understand your question...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne wrote:

or another way if you had the choice of either the TB14 or Archetype rim on a wheelset which would you choose for a relatively robust wheelset for a CX being used on road? In addition would changing either of those rims for a Swiss RR465 be worth £10 a wheel?
  • ugo.santalucia
    gbsahne wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

or another way if you had the choice of either the TB14 or Archetype rim on a wheelset which would you choose for a relatively robust wheelset for a CX being used on road? In addition would changing either of those rims for a Swiss RR465 be worth £10 a wheel?

1) Archetype is a better rim

2) No... they are on pair with Open PRO and Ambrosio Excellight/Excellence... so 45-55 pounds would be the correct pricing
  • gbsahne001

2) No... they are on pair with Open PRO and Ambrosio Excellight/Excellence... so 45-55 pounds would be the correct pricing

My turn not to understand.... are you saying that going from Archetype to RR465 should be an additional £45 - £55 per wheel
  • ugo.santalucia
    gbsahne wrote:

My turn not to understand.... are you saying that going from Archetype to RR465 should be an additional £45 - £55 per wheel

No I am saying that the 465 should be priced at 45-55 per unit, if it costs more it is not worth buying it, as it is not better than those mentioned above costing 45-55
  • gbsahne001
    many thanks for the clarification