700 disc wheels

sicknewt
sicknewt Posts: 181
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Just picked up a bargain secondhand Boardman Hybrid Comp.

The previous owner changed the mechanical disc brakes and disc wheels for caliper brakes and appropriate wheels (Richey Pro's). I want to put hydraulic discs on the bike so need to swap the wheels.

Having had a quick look about there don't seem to be that many 700 disc wheels out there and I've not found a lot of reviews on whats good. I don't want a heavy 29er wheel, I need something that is relatively light for road commuting.

So, does anyone know what's good and where I might get it? Not looking to spend a lot of cash (£150 max) and more than happy to buy secondhand, just not sure what to look for at the moment.

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CRC - get them to build you some.

I have XT hubs, DT Swiss Comp Spokes and Mavic CXP22 Rims <£150 for the complete wheelset. Had them about 6 months now. Great set of wheels.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've gone a bit overboard with my replacement disc wheels... Hope hubs start things off and the final bill is a bit ouch.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sicknewt
    rubertoe wrote:
    CRC - get them to build you some.

I have XT hubs, DT Swiss Comp Spokes and Mavic CXP22 Rims <£150 for the complete wheelset. Had them about 6 months now. Great set of wheels.

Do you know roughly how much they weigh? I presume they would be suitable for 700 x 28 or 700 x 30 tyres?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the dropout width of the frame?
  • rubertoe
    I never weighed them, but for 36 hole wheels they are pretty light, lighter than the Alex rims and cheap shimano hubs that they replaced.

Edit - I run 25s but have had 28's on them and they will take bigger.

KB - i hate you.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Kieran_Burns
    Hope pro 2 evo black front 32h hub
    Hope pro 2 evo black rear 32h hub
    Mavic a 719 32h rims
    Sapim black spokes
    Build cost £0.00

Is what I'm getting.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rubertoe
    Mavic a 719 32h rims
    Sapim black spokes
    Build cost £0.00

Is what I'm getting.

I still hate you.

Did you not think about the Open Pros? the ones with the special rims? cant think of the name...

• sicknewt
    supersonic wrote:
    What is the dropout width of the frame?

135 mm - have to make sure I don't get mtb hubs!
  • supersonic
    135mm is standard MTB hub size!

Merlin cycles have some good offers on 29er wheels - xc ones at that, so pretty light.
  • sicknewt
    supersonic wrote:
    135mm is standard MTB hub size!

Merlin cycles have some good offers on 29er wheels - xc ones at that, so pretty light.

Ah, thought MTBs were bigger than that for some reason! Guess it won't be so hard to find something then! I'll check Merlin out, cheers.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mavic a 719 32h rims
    Sapim black spokes
    Build cost £0.00

Is what I'm getting.

I'll have a pair at that price :wink:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    rubertoe wrote:
    Mavic a 719 32h rims
    Sapim black spokes
    Build cost £0.00

Is what I'm getting.

I still hate you.

Did you not think about the Open Pros? the ones with the special rims? cant think of the name...

CD, Couche dure... Nice, I have them on the ones I built for myself. Great wheels, they take Tarmac, mud, stones and gravel equally well with the appropriate tyre.
    left the forum March 2023
  • supersonic
    719 is a pretty heavy rim mind - MTBers use them for All Mountain riding and even light DH!
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have given a set of open pro, mounted with 32 mm vittoria randonneur touring tyres a terrible time, descending on rocks at 20 mph plus general abuse off road... They are faultless, I don't see the point of getting anything heavier to be honest.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Has the previous owner still got the original wheels?

You only need to switch the hubs (ok and spokes as well). Assuming that your current rims are in good condition there's mo need to change them.

When faced with a similar question (during the winter, I had the idea of using the 'hack' as a donor bike onto a Kinesys frame), my LBS suggested rebuilding my existing, and virtually new, Mavic A... (?) rims onto disc hubs starting from £70 per end depending on hub.

Bob
  • Kieran_Burns
    Still waiting for mine and have given the shop a nudge. I could get some hope hoops sent straight to me with the pro2 hubs fitted. Apparently they're in stock and good to go. I am tempted.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rubertoe
    Still waiting for mine and have given the shop a nudge. I could get some hope hoops sent straight to me with the pro2 hubs fitted. Apparently they're in stock and good to go. I am tempted.

spare wheels KB?

• Kieran_Burns
    rubertoe wrote:

spare wheels KB?

shush.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    rubertoe wrote:
    Mavic a 719 32h rims
    Sapim black spokes
    Build cost £0.00

Is what I'm getting.

I still hate you.

CD, Couche dure... Nice, I have them on the ones I built for myself. Great wheels, they take Tarmac, mud, stones and gravel equally well with the appropriate tyre.
    Ugo built me a set of these onto Novatec hubs. Rode the bike for the first time today and I'm very impressed. They work out a bit over budget for your £150 but dropping to XT hubs would get you nearer the price.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd like a nice set of carbon rims for the V on discs. Volagi do a 1400g-ish set but over $1800

http://www.volagi.com/products/ignite-sl-wheelset

at 1600g, my current alloy ones aren't bad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    I'd like a nice set of carbon rims for the V on discs. Volagi do a 1400g-ish set but over $1800

http://www.volagi.com/products/ignite-sl-wheelset

at 1600g, my current alloy ones aren't bad.

I see that Zipp are makeing a 303 disc version here. Should be interesting.

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    rubertoe wrote:
    I see that Zipp are makeing a 303 disc version here. Should be interesting.

Yes, I saw that - seem to be both heavier and more expensive than Volagi's own wheels (seemingly the Zipps are CX)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    They work out a bit over budget for your £150 but dropping to XT hubs would get you nearer the price.

Not by much and those Novatec CX hubs are a revelation. They are simply the best "budget" hubs I have ever used and wouldn't recommend replacing them with Shimano.. the saving is very small
  • Sorry for a brief thread hijack!

Been meaning to ask you about novatec hubs Ugo, after seeing a few similar threads and your website.

I've seen you recommend the novatec 711/712 hubs and seen you've put a couple on Archetype rims. Would you recommend this build for others? I ride a genesis croix de fer for commuting, mostly on road and rarely venture on to towpaths when needed. I'm 70kgs by the way. The archetypes seem to be quite popular at the moment but the novatecs seem a bit of an unknown quantity, just wondering what you thought of them compared to hope pro 2s?

Cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    WEBBERhyde wrote:
    Sorry for a brief thread hijack!

Been meaning to ask you about novatec hubs Ugo, after seeing a few similar threads and your website.

I've seen you recommend the novatec 711/712 hubs and seen you've put a couple on Archetype rims. Would you recommend this build for others? I ride a genesis croix de fer for commuting, mostly on road and rarely venture on to towpaths when needed. I'm 70kgs by the way. The archetypes seem to be quite popular at the moment but the novatecs seem a bit of an unknown quantity, just wondering what you thought of them compared to hope pro 2s?

Cheers

They are equal with Hope PRO 2, half the price and come with skewers... a no brainer. As for the Archetype... yes, very nice rims, but also Open PRO CD are lovely rims for the job, with tyres up to 35 mm... I am trying to demolish a set right now with no success... :mrgreen:
  • Nice one...that's that decided then. Better get those novatecs on order...red is the order of the day I think.

The open pros look good but I think I've decided on archetypes because of the dribble factor...they look stunning. Just can't decided between the black or smoke grey 8) .
  • ugo.santalucia
    WEBBERhyde wrote:
    Nice one...that's that decided then. Better get those novatecs on order...red is the order of the day I think.

The open pros look good but I think I've decided on archetypes because of the dribble factor...they look stunning. Just can't decided between the black or smoke grey 8) .

Have you built disc wheels before?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    WEBBERhyde wrote:
    Nice one...that's that decided then. Better get those novatecs on order...red is the order of the day I think.

The Archetypes do look lovely. I was a bit worried the Open Pros would look odd being grey, but they look the same colour as the tyres. Tyres aren't as black as a black rim and I think dark grey looks better now.
  • WEBBERhyde wrote:

God no!..I won't be attempting to build these. Would like to give it a go at some point but not on such nice rims. Any reason you ask?

I think I might have to go for the black archetypes...the white writing just swings it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    WEBBERhyde wrote:
    WEBBERhyde wrote:

God no!..I won't be attempting to build these. Would like to give it a go at some point but not on such nice rims. Any reason you ask?

I think I might have to go for the black archetypes...the white writing just swings it.

I could have offered some advice if you were building them yourself