Kenda Kinetics; any good?

Corners R Us
Corners R Us Posts: 214
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a reasonalbly priced pair fo 2.1s for bike centre singletrack use to replace the ageing tyres on my bike. I happened across these on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360618955772? ... 1423.l2649

Anyone had any experience of them?

Ta muchly. Corners

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Heavy, and maybe a bit knobbly for trail centres, but cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Really, really bad. Avoid.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GReat on a training bike so you can get fit for your real one....

Try and get some Panaracers XC Pro, with some looking you should be able to get wired for about £10 each and they'll be 3 times better.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • think I've been suitably disuaded from Kendas after a bit more research as well as comments above.

Im happy enuf to go up to £30 for a pair of tyres. I've used Panaracers before so will have a look for some of them; thanks for the pointes. Also quite taken by Continentals as below. But which to go for?! Mountain King IIs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pairs-of-Cont ... 5653e1b2e8

I'm specifically looking at 2.0/2.1 or 2.2 widths.

Corners
  • bennett_346
    All those contis will be the non black chili version, which is more like plastic than rubber. I'd avoid those to lol.

The panaracers mentioned really are likely to be the best you'll get for less than £15 per tyre.
  • bennett_346
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Panaracer-Fire- ... tAodRjAAEA

Best price i could find at a quick glance.
  • Corners R Us
    edited March 2013
    Many thanks. Who'd have thought buying tyres could be so complex! I'll go have a poke about Tredz......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except the folding are £30 each.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CRC; rarely beaten on price!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54053

Think these will do nicely.

Corners
  • Ohhh folding tyres, thought they were out of my budget. I presume they'd be lighter than a wire bead tyre? Hmmm heard of Schwalbe but not Intense. Bit more research required before I hit the buy button. Ta muchly.

Corners
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Folding are usually lighter - and can come with better compounds.

The Intense are excellent for the money.
  • Panaracer XC Fire Pro Wired 2.1 770g ea
    Swalbe Smart Sam Folding 2.1 620g ea
    Intense C3 folding 2.1 System 1 490g ea
    System 2 468g ea!
    System 3 505g ea
    System 4 650g ea
    System 5 490g ea

Hmm looking at the weights its folding hands down.

Getting closer to a decision!!

Corners
  • The Rookie
    Strange weight for the XC Pro as both my 2.1's were 720g!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    its 50g difference, hardly loads is it?
  • The Rookie
    It is if it's on every component!
  • EH_Rob
    but unless you've got a bike made entirely out of some pretty rubbish xc tyres it isn't an issue.
  • The Rookie
    Just 50g on a BB, just 50g on EACH tyre, just 50g on a stem, just 50g on the bars, just 50g on each wheel and each tube.....on a bike it's the wrong attitude to say 'just 50g' in my opinion!
  • Corners R Us
    edited April 2013
    Ladies, please play nicely or the mod police will be along to tell us off!!

I wasn't looking to save weight particularly as I ride my mtb for fun not to win Olympic gold more some decent tyres at decent money! That said if I spot something at a good price that will improve the feel of my bike I'm happy to shave 100g + off the weight I'm lugging around the trails.

Oh did I say I'm 20st and thinking of going on a diet?!!!!

Corners (actually 11st dripping wet).
  • EH_Rob
    Its a different attitude to yours, it doesn't make me wrong.

if you added 50g to each of my bikes tyres id probably not even notice, let alone care. and for whatever reason you've starting banging on about other components on bikes, which has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

That said, the insight that if you added 50g to the weight of every component on your bike it would be much heavier was nevertheless extremely useful.
  • The Rookie
    The point was that he was comparing tyre weights as part of the selection process, I was trying to correct what I think is an error so the comparison was valid......
  • Damn it damn it and blast! I pondered too long and the Intense tyres on CRC have gone from £12.49 ea to £14.99 in the blink of an eye! :roll: :cry: :evil:

Corners
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Even though, still the best tyres you'll get for the money. 2.25 C5, 549g each, bargain.
  • Yep. Bought some last night. 2 x 26x2.0 System 2s. I can now focus on my next upgrade whatever that is!!

Thansk to all for your advice...and debate!

Corners