Deore m596 sticky piston

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Decided to get around to fitting the m596's i got from crc and one of the pistons on both calipers is sticking, i've done the hold one piston and pump the lever to get the other to move. The result is after 20 mins of doing that and applying mineral oil around the piston it moves out but they both still won't move out together. Do i admit defeat and just send them back seeing as i haven't cut the hoses to length yet or is there another solution i'm missing?

*Edit..now been doing it for an hour and it's improved as sometimes they move out together..not equal but together, if it wasn't for the need to shorten the hoses i prolly wouldn't have noticed for a while but does seem rather naff seeing as they are new......it's late and need some sleep...
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With no resistance it is very very rare for them to move equally, the fluid takes the path of least resistance, as soon as one moves it will be the one continuing to move, that's the bit you were missing. Perfectly normal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    Cheers ;)....it was gone 2am and i was tired and losing patience :oops:
    Now fitted and cut to length although they are still a few cm's too long as i measured them to the avids forgetting that they were a tad long anyway :roll: .Also did a full bleed as the bike nearly fell over and in the comedial panic of trying to stop it with my hands full i caught the lever and lost fluid from the front so thought sod it and bled the back aswell.....a bike workstand is definitely going to be a future purchase :wink:
    From first impressions they feel much better even though they aren't properly bed in yet, still using the avid hs1 180mm & 160mm rotors which i'm assuming won't be a problem.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Definitely worth getting a workstand! Nice upgrade, your m596's should be a mega reliable brake set.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A disc is a disc is a disc, no issue using the Avid discs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    Dirty-Boy wrote:
    Definitely worth getting a workstand! Nice upgrade, your m596's should be a mega reliable brake set.
    Aye it's not something i'd thought about before but definitely going to get one now ;)
    I had problems early on with the avids being spongey and still not much better after bleeding, even the br m575's which came on my scott hardtail inspire more confidence and have a decent amount of power even though the review on here says they are pants. I could have stretched to the xt's but after reading reviews i decided these m596's will be more than good enough for me and reliable and atleast the bleeding isn't a faff like with the avids ;)
    A disc is a disc is a disc, no issue using the Avid discs.
    Cheers.....didn't think there would be a problem but was just checking ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95