Flip carbon seatpost 180 degrees?

Jammy_Dodger87
Jammy_Dodger87 Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

I bought myself a women's specific carbon Boardman road bike recently and whilst I absolury love it, I'd like the seat forward a smidge more but it's all the way forward on the rails. I've read a out people spinning their seat posts around, so long as the angle is adjustable whilst flipped round, and they say it's okay. However, I just wondered if this would affect the integrity of seatpost and stress it unduly and cause breakage? It's an angled seatpost, if that makes a difference, I know I could just buy a straight one but I thought if consider this option first.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on whether the cradle has enough angular adjustment - triathletes do this, but it can throw the bike handling having too much weight forwards.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I doubt very much flipping the post round would compromise its strength in any way. I'd have thought the stresses on it would be the same as if it was the 'normal' way round. Depending on the post, you may struggle to get the saddle level if there isn't a great deal of tilt adjust on the post: turning it round will make the saddle very nose up.

My main concern would be that it would sit you a long way over the bottom bracket. That's fine in time trials or for short intense efforts but it isn't a comfortable or efficient position for general or relaxed riding.

Set your saddle position correctly first ignoring the overall reach of the bike (there are plenty of online guides). Once your happy with that, correct the reach of the bike by choosing a shorter stem or different bars. It's a more expensive solution but a better one.

Rob