MAN FLU / training

fsd61b
fsd61b Posts: 109
I've been in bed for 2 days with man flu and not managed to get on my bike for 6 days. What's the best idea for recovery? I think I could prob start doing 20min easy on a turbo tomorrow (hopefully) without getting too dizzy. I'm really annoyed that this has come in the middle of an extensive training programme and don't want to loose my fitness.I'm being told horror stories about "it'll go into your chest" etc but I've only got 4 weeks to get back up there. Whats the general opinion?

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I wonder if there's a correlation between age (lack of), and the tendency to try to get back to training when still ill. Maybe it's simply lack of experience of overdoing it, and then getting sicker as a result.

Having read a bunch of these threads now, I think that anyone whose optimism exceeds their realism should just go out there and train, and find out for themselves.

I've been stupid enough in my time (long before I took up cycling) to try and get back to exercising before fully recovered, more than once, in fact, since I used to be a bit of a slow learner. And ended up with nasty chest infections that took over a month to clear up. So I'm really not throwing stones in my glass house.

You may be lucky, and not make yourself worse.

But seriously, do you really think that if you've been sick enough to actually go to bed cos you're feeling so shite, you're going to be able to train hard enough to do anything at all for your level of fitness?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • fsd61b
    You have a valid point there. The chest infection thing confirmed is enough for me.
    Cheers
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    What did the doctor say?
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    I've had a similar thing including the chest infection for the past 3 weeks, it's been horrible, this is the start of week 4 with no training, made worse by the fact I run a building company and have to be on site every day.

Feels like its ruined all the hard work I put in over the winter. Was hoping to get back on it this week but still feel rubbish, defiantly no point in even trying besides getting worse your performance will be bad which is only going to get you down further. Loads of vitamin c and bed.
  • fsd61b
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    What did the doctor say?
    bed and monitor progress. Only saw a doc by accident because I was looking after an elderly relative (and caught it), they were going to have to go to hospital but improved at the last min.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    fsd61b wrote:
    Whats the general opinion?

There is nothing wrong with you a bit of rest wont cure
  • I had a bout of man flu last year and didn't receive much sympathy from my wife. Not even when i showed her the worst pain known to humans list.

1. kick in the spuds.
    2. man flu.
    3. paper cut.
    4. toothache.
    5. childbirth.
  • fsd61b
    I had a bout of man flu last year and didn't receive much sympathy from my wife. Not even when i showed her the worst pain known to humans list.

1. kick in the spuds.
    2. man flu.
    3. paper cut.
    4. toothache.
    5. childbirth.

I think you will find that having a really big poop would be worse than 5
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Haha you forgot standing bare foot on an up turned plug or a kids toy as well,it's annoying with illness and injury though,all the waiting is a right pain but quicker in the long run.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Know this is shutting the stable door but prevention is better than cure.

I started serious training 8 years ago and found I was feeling worse than before because I kept picking up infections.

So I started using First Defence as a preventative 2 squirts up the nose, first thing in the morning, last thing at night + hand gel after shower.

I have not had a serious cold in the last 7 years. This despite high risk factors on top of training including regular air travel, commuting by rail and sharing a house/bed with infected folks. Only last week I did a heavy week of training sharing car and meals with a guy who came down with a streamer but didn't catch anything.

May seem obsessive but it works. Not alone in this approach btw. From this article explaining why we rule the cycling world. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19174302

" ... tell us about these "marginal gains" that underpin everything you do?

"The whole principle came from the idea that if you broke down everything you could think of that goes into riding a bike, and then improved it by 1%, you will get a significant increase when you put them all together,"

"Do you really know how to clean your hands? Without leaving the bits between your fingers?

"If you do things like that properly, you will get ill a little bit less.

"They're tiny things but if you clump them together it makes a big difference."
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I've just spent a week with a nasty bout of Cold/Virus. Could already feel it coming on last Sunday as I lined up for a race that had to be shortened to 60 miles after snow had fallen and covered the course. People were already on the edge of hypothermia at that point. Mon to Wed I had to skip any training and concentrated on getting very early nights in bed and focusing on recovery. By Friday I was able to do a track session which was okay as the warm temperature of the veldrome seemed easier on my chest when brerathing heavily. I had a rest day on Sat and returned to outdoor training again yesterday on an endurance run.
    I don't think I've lost too much fitness and feel much better again today. As has been said above the foucs is back on prevention again now!