Newport Velodrome Taster Sessions?

Pumpkin Positive
Pumpkin Positive Posts: 392
edited May 2013 in Track
I'm trying to organise a taster session at Newport Velodrome for me and a few mates. Some of them did what they described as a 'taster session' a few years ago (bike hire, track time, coach, etc.)but I can't see anything on their website that looks like this. I've tried emailing them but I've had no reply and their phone number seems to go through to Newport City Council help desk so that I can complain about bin collections!

Do they still do these sessions and if so what do they call them and how do I book?

Thanks

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Our club did one last year, however I know they have been busy as in massively oversubscribed since the Olympics. Have also changed their timetable & its pretty packed out TBH & know that lots of people want to go and not enough spaces which I guess is a good position to be in & taking full advantage of...... sorry can't bring myself to use the BS phrase the politicians gave us.

Their standard timetable has an intro session though but you have to book in advance, their website does still have some PDF's stating they still do the taster sessions though.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,925
    They do a 4 week beginners course which has a long waiting list. Other than that I suspect it would be a case of booking a slot on the track when there are no regular sessions and hiring a coach. It's hard getting on there at a sensible time of day but I guess it's good that it is such a success story.
  • sskelly
    sskelly Posts: 79
    I put my name down on the waiting list for the beginners course in September and I only got a call a couple of weeks ago to say that I can attend in April!! They are massivly oversubscribed at the moment. I think when I called back to confirm I went through to a general council line that had various options, one of which was leisure/cycling.
  • the_prophet
    the_prophet Posts: 426
    The o/h booked me onto a two day course for beginners a few weeks back, had a been on the waiting list since before christmas. I'm down to go at the end of may. website is useless and no response from emails trying to find out what the agenda will be for the two days yet! so struggling somewhat. all i want to know is what i'm suppose to be doing and whether i should be worried about being booked onto something slightly above my ability or not.

half tempted to drive over and see them in person.
  • sskelly
    sskelly Posts: 79
    You will be fine on the beginners course, it is for complete novices. Take a helmet and some gloves or mitts (you need both to be able to ride). They also recommend long sleeves and bottoms for beginners to prevent burns if you come off.

I go over with my kids and have seen the sessions and have ridden a few times myself, you will really enjoy it. I am doing the official courses to become accredited so that I can ride the drop in sessions.

The bikes have either old style look delta pedals (not keo) or toe clips.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I dont think you need to be acreddited to ride drop ins? I have been to quite a few and often there have been beginners on there. Depends if you are a half decent rider I guess lol or totally new to cycling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,925
    Nah, accreditation is only required for races and SQT sessions I believe.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Not sure you need it for racing either.
    That's the funny thing, can ride world masters without, but cannot train in Manchester with locals :D
  • the_prophet
    the_prophet Posts: 426
    Just thought i'd give an update on this for anyone that searches out taster sessions.

Finished my 2nd / final session yesterday as part of beginner and intermediate course. was much better than i was expecting and im going to be booking up the improvers course soon.

first session was getting used to riding on the track, learning about lines and how to ride at different levels on the banking. moved onto riding in a group, overtaking and moving up the line.

second session followed on from previous week, throwing in some new drills weaving between riders, riding stacked up (4+) up the bank for laps, and various other bits.

coach couldnt have been any better, great personality and very clear when explaining everything. pointing out what people were doing wrong and what people were doing correctly.

overall, a great intro into track cycling that i wouldnt hesitate to reccomend to anyone