Ksyrium Elite - repairable?

wulfhound
wulfhound Posts: 95
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Have a Ksyrium Elite rear wheel which lost a relatively minor argument with a Renault Clio.

None of the spokes went ping, but it's much too far off true - I'd say the rim is out by a cm or so - to be rideable.

Worth trying to get it repaired and trued, or replace & sell for spares?

Thanks,
- wh.

Comments

• It is worth getting a quote... if you need a new rim the quote will probably exceed a sensible budget... if it is a spokes replacement only it makes sense, of course.
    If Mr Clio is paying, get a new set/wheel of course.
    I made a point of NOT fixing Mavic factory wheels as the result is always disappointing, otherwise I'd be happy to help you
    left the forum March 2023
  • It is worth getting a quote... if you need a new rim the quote will probably exceed a sensible budget... if it is a spokes replacement only it makes sense, of course.
    If Mr Clio is paying, get a new set/wheel of course.
    I made a point of NOT fixing Mavic factory wheels as the result is always disappointing, otherwise I'd be happy to help you

Ugo is pretty much our BR expert so I'd agree with him. For the record not that I have purchased any wheels from him, but from what I know of others experiences he does some damn good work & when do need a set of hand-built wheels I think I know where my money would be going.

Its not going to cost you anything to take it to a LBS and get a quote for the work so you've not lost anything by asking them.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • If its only a cm then it can prob be trued out, BUT as I'm sure Ugo will confirm this will result in uneven spoke tension, which will result in the wheel quickly going back out of true. Think of it more as a 'bodge' as you are using the spokes to hold a bent rim strait again. If its a temporary measure or spare set of rims then I'd re-true them and just tweak as required depending on how they go, but its not the 'correct' thing to do, and you shouldn't expect it to last or 'fix' the issue.
  • Thanks. Will take it to the LBS & see what they can do, hopefully get it replaced if/when the insurance comes through.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It may be repairable as a temporary fix - I have straighten bigger deviations but it was just to keep someone riding. Replacement rims are £90-100
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..