Extra comfort for ht?

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Anyone have any suggestions for comfort upgrades on a hardtail mtb? I had'nt been out on my bike fo a good few months, mainly due to the weather. I thought i could carry on were i left off. I was wrong!

Before i stopped, i was doing 24 miles pretty much daily, and i had no problems. I often wanted to carry on further but never knew were to go. The other day i got back in the saddle and went on my usual route. The first 12 miles was awesome, i flew down there, the weather was nice and i was loving it! Then, i started the journey back. It was the polar opposit. Almost instantly, my rear end and the palms of my hands started killing me, then my legs started going and my energy just dissappeared.

I averaged 14mph on the way there, and 3-8 mph on the way back, lol.. The wind weren't even that strong, but felt like gale force to me. At one point i even walked a little. I was wincing at just the thought of mounting the bike again, such was the discomfort. I've never experienced anything like this before, i've never found anything that physically uncomfortable, weather running, circuit training, whatever.

I guess upgrades to the bar, stem and seatpost could add comfort, and suggestions would be welcome. But i would really like suggestions for bike gloves, perhaps thick padded or gel ones, and also, and perhaps most importantly, suggestions for saddles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or if it was fine before just ride a bit and things will stop hurting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cooldad wrote:
    Or if it was fine before just ride a bit and things will stop hurting.

this ^^^^^^

if you were happy before then it's just you :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is this all on road? I find my mountain bikes very uncomfortable on road but fine off road because of the time I spend out of the saddle giving my arse a rest. The riding position is all wrong for riding in one position on the bike for hours which is why road bikes have a different riding position.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    Anyone have any suggestions for comfort upgrades on a hardtail mtb? I had'nt been out on my bike fo a good few months, mainly due to the weather. I thought i could carry on were i left off. I was wrong!

Before i stopped, i was doing 24 miles pretty much daily, and i had no problems.
    there's your problem, you stopped riding, keep riding, things will stop hurting and your fitness will return
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Yup, its not the bike, its you im afraid. You have just learned the hard way how fast you can lose fitness and bike conditioning after a sizeable break. I recon we have all done it. Build up slowly and don't worry about distance and time.

Personally i wouldn't advise padded gloves for mtb. I just dont feel they give the right amount of grip required as your hands tend to move around due to the squidgyness too much. Changing grip will give more support if needed. You could try the ESI chunkies as they are made of silicone and take out a lot of trail and road chatter.

Some gel padded shorts or liners could help also?
  • Maybe consider some well padded shorts and gloves? I would certainly say they make a big difference :)
  • Jesus. Gel gloves? Energy? Hand placement? Are you sure you're weren't having a stroke? 20 miles plus a day is an awesome amount of clicks to be knocking off daily. I would love to have the time/fitness to accomplish that. Speak to your neurosurgeon. He may recommend more bananas.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • If it's road work, then bar ends, nothing else settles the pain quite like 'em.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Jesus. Gel gloves? Energy? Hand placement? Are you sure you're weren't having a stroke? 20 miles plus a day is an awesome amount of clicks to be knocking off daily. I would love to have the time/fitness to accomplish that. Speak to your neurosurgeon. He may recommend more bananas.
    Are you sure you're not having a stroke? :?
  • cooldad
    Jesus. Gel gloves? Energy? Hand placement? Are you sure you're weren't having a stroke? 20 miles plus a day is an awesome amount of clicks to be knocking off daily. I would love to have the time/fitness to accomplish that. Speak to your neurosurgeon. He may recommend more bananas.
    Are you sure you're not having a stroke? :?
    Just a little hissy fit I think.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    You have colo-rectal cancer -go to hospital NOW.
  • Nope, no hissy fit or anything like that, lol.. Just giving a little insight as to why i want some upgrades..

I saw a review on road bike of the year, may have been last years, One of the cheaper bikes wich was expected to be one of the most uncomfortable, actually turned out to be the most comfortable. This was partially down to the saddle, but massively down to the seatpost. The guy added pressure to show how it flexed.

This it what i'm after really, some suggestions for good upgrades from people who have experience with them. I need to get as much info as i can before i make a purchase. This is because my local bike shop closed and i don't know anyone in the know when it comes to bikes. So everything to me is a shot in the dark, i cant see these things in the flesh or try em out. My only source of knowledge is the net, mainly bikeradar.

Heres what i'm after upgrading... saddle, seatpost, stem, handlebar and wheelset... Ideally, drop a little weight and add a little comfort and durability. As for the wheelset, tubeless or standard? And what about tyres and tubes.

All product suggestions and insights will be welcome.

Thanks!
  • They meant me, not you, but I wasn't intending sarcasm, hey ho I just thought bar ends might help. My body locks up with hours of arms locked in the same position, especially doing those kinda miles every day.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Oh, lol... yeah i got bar ends on already.. got the cube intergrated ones to go with the bike, but they aint the most comfortable either, look good but far too small.. shouldn't be hard to find better ones though if need be. its buying the other stufff i'm clueless on.
  • tezboy1234 wrote:
    Nope, no hissy fit or anything like that, lol.. Just giving a little insight as to why i want some upgrades..

I saw a review on road bike of the year, may have been last years, One of the cheaper bikes wich was expected to be one of the most uncomfortable, actually turned out to be the most comfortable. This was partially down to the saddle, but massively down to the seatpost. The guy added pressure to show how it flexed.

This it what i'm after really, some suggestions for good upgrades from people who have experience with them. I need to get as much info as i can before i make a purchase. This is because my local bike shop closed and i don't know anyone in the know when it comes to bikes. So everything to me is a shot in the dark, i cant see these things in the flesh or try em out. My only source of knowledge is the net, mainly bikeradar.

Heres what i'm after upgrading... saddle, seatpost, stem, handlebar and wheelset... Ideally, drop a little weight and add a little comfort and durability. As for the wheelset, tubeless or standard? And what about tyres and tubes.

All product suggestions and insights will be welcome.

Thanks!

^^^ this has nothing to do with your original post! What you said basically prompted the unanimous response that you need to ride more.

What you are now saying is a little different. What I don't understand is why upgrades would help comfort when you seemed perfectly comfortable before doing 24+ miles and still wanting to do more?

Weight, on the other hand, is a different matter and one that people can definitely help with.

Wheels - stans rims from superstar components. Best weight/ performance vfm out there
    Tyres - schwalbe evo Fred's, Rons or Ralph's. Conti RaceKing Supersonics
    Stem KCNC from eBay
    Bars KCNC bones from XC racer

Tubeless makes sense with stans rims and both schwalbe and continental work well tubeless with decent compounds and sidewalls. Light tubes are ok but the lighter the tyre the less puncture proof so I'd say tubeless for peace of mind.(barring sharp rocks)

Saddles are 100% personal choice. Specialized bg range can be comfy when fitted correctly but my arse hates them. Most people seem to love the charge spoon and for less than £20 its a good start. I personally love my SDG Bel Air and can usually ride about 30 miles unpadded.

The fitter you are and the ore 'bike' conditioned the more comfy and the lighter your bike will feel.
  • 70's penguine...

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for the suggestions, i'll look in to them and see if i can find any reviews.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it nothing to do with my original post though. Although your right that one of the conclusions people would make, would be to ride more and comfort and fitness will improve. And yes, i was ok before, but that doesn't mean improvements can't be made. I mean, although i could do it well eneough, i weren't exactly the most comfortable rider in the world. And in fairness to myself, i started the post by saying 'Can anyone make any suggestions for comfort upgrades on a hardtail'.. I then give a few reasons as to why i want upgrades, and the final paragraph is asking for people to give suggestions for upgrades for, bar, stem, seatpost, saddle and gloves. And on top of that, the post is titled 'Comfort upgrades for a ht' lol

Perhaps i should have metioned weight reduction also, but thought that would be a given when it comes to upgrades. For me, an upgrade would be, reduced weight with added comfort and durability.

But again, sorry for the confusion, weren't intended. Cheers!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Brooks B17.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you want a bike which is comfortable for road riding then how about a road bike?
  • Rockmonkey

Not sure why you think i'm a road rider m8? i never have and probably never will want to ride on a road. I h8 it to be honest. Some road riding is unavoidable though when getting from a-b, even then i'll take the pavement if i can. A roadbike wouldn't really be-able to go on the routes i take, at least not without extreme discomfort and probable damage to the bike.

I think you've missunderstood m8, lol.
  • cooldad
    Why are you talking in code?
    M 8? I wanted an M3 at one point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    Why are you talking in code?
    M 8? I wanted an M3 at one point.

I really want an M9 FRO
  • bennett_346
    Nah i'd rather have an M3..
  • rockmonkeysc
    The M3 is a classic but if you want serious speed you need a M9 FRO with CCDB and 888 rc3 ti.
  • bennett_346
    bmw-m3-motorsport-10.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats not an M3, this is an M3

image.php?id=209&f_image=0.830078125
  • bennett_346
    Crocodile%20Dundee%20-%20That's%20a%20knife%20scene-8x6.jpg?imgmax=800
  • I'm using code because i'm not using my laptop, so i don't have a keyboard. I have to navigate an on screen keyboard using a control pad, which gets a bit frustrating as it takes longer. I was just making things a little quicker.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    I'm using code because i'm not using my laptop, so i don't have a keyboard. I have to navigate an on screen keyboard using a control pad, which gets a bit frustrating as it takes longer. I was just making things a little quicker.
    Fair play mate, I had literally no problems at all undertsanding that m8 = mate
  • cooldad
    And m0ng = mong
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools