Itm 2.4 shimano freehub

extrusion
extrusion Posts: 247
edited April 2013 in The workshop
My freehub has got all creaky, new rear is on the way but i was hoping to sort this one and have the other as spare.

However, i have no idea how to remove the freehub, anyone know? Theres no allen key fitment, its just a round hole inside. Freaky ...

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You sure there's no allen key fitment? My Shimano freehub had something like an 11 or 12mm allen key "socket".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • It looks completely round in there, i tried various allen key combinations to no avail.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Is it a Shimano hub and not just a Shimano pattern freehub? If the latter then it could be a 12mm allen key from the non-drive side.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • No idea. Ill take a closer look today in the daylight!
  • redvee wrote:
    Is it a Shimano hub and not just a Shimano pattern freehub? If the latter then it could be a 12mm allen key from the non-drive side.

Looks like you are right, from the other side, after clearing the gunk away i can see a dimpled pattern, not an exact hex shape as i was expecting. My 10 mm allen key is too small, and trying some combos it seems to be 12 as you say. So the big question is which way do i turn it? Neither way is working at the moment!
  • Actually, ferget it, im gonna just use the new wheel, looking at the price of new freehubs ... then get a decent wheelset when summer arrives.

Thanks anyway,!
  • opdover
    opdover Posts: 1
    mind if I hijack this?
    I have the same issue- pics as follows:
    8660759824_001dac383f_z.jpg
    8659658443_9ef263d34c_z.jpg

not a hex socket in there- looks more like 12 sided.
    this was on a dawes disco 401, possible the wheels have been changed though so I don't know if this is shimano- the dust caps off the hubs are, and the quick release levers too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The correct sized Allen key will obviously fit in a 12 pointed hole......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.