Have I deceived someone?

2»

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Seems to be the done thing to rip off ebay, everytime I put something up I get at least a couple of people saying they will buy it immediately, for cash, if I remove it from ebay to avoid fees.
    However, it's no different to buying something second hand say, from here, and using Paypal gift rather than purchase of goods... which I do all the time. Makes me a bit of a hypocrite really when I tell the ebay mongs to sod off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use Ebay a lot, mainly buying, but selling as well. I get loads of choice, good prices, a bit of protection and a massive market when I want to sell something.
    Frankly I don't begrudge the fees.
    Not really the same thing with Paypal gift - you just forgo some protection in exchange for a small saving - they're giving you the option.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I tried to sell a frame on ebay once - advertised in original posting as frame only but with a picture of the bike built up as I was still using it while the auction was on. Having sold it for a reasonable price for the frame only the buyer complained he thought he was getting the complete build before I even sent it.......

I just didn't bother arguing - cost me a few quid for the auction fee but the guy was obviously a knob.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you cancelled through the correct channels you get you fee's back.....

I got a classic 'this isn't worth £70' type message, to which I replied pointing out I'd never said it was, he had decided what to bid all by himself.....and that the next highest bidder had thought it was worth almost as much....his hole was refilled as he crawled back in it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cooldad wrote:
    Not really the same thing with Paypal gift - you just forgo some protection in exchange for a small saving - they're giving you the option.
    Aren't you using their service, which they don't provide freely, without abiding to their terms and conditions though? If you wanted to transfer money freely, you should use bank transfer, cheque, or cash. I use 'gift' transactions for loads of stuff, but I'm under the impression I'm doing the same thing as these ebay-fee-skippers are doing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You still get charged for PP gift unless, AFAIK, there is a credit balance in your account. I get charged as mine is just linked to my CC.
    But you also lose out on the protection, so you are getting a lesser service anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    PP gift costs nothing from a bank account or balance, only from a CC.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    benpinnick wrote:
    Just send him some pictures of your stuff, and keep the actual goods.

I was thinking take a picture in a mirror with the flash and send him a copy marked as "flash included".

If it were me I'd just cancel the transaction making sure ebay don't charge for the sale. If you send it he will either dispute it for a refund or just claim he never received it.
  • my brother in law sold an i phone on ebay, had all sorts of e mails saying it was no good, not working etc, in the end he refunded and told them to send it back. he got a lump of wood about the same size as an i phone back! luckily for him the address he sent it to was about half hour from his work, when he turned up in his uniform in a police car with a couple of other officers they sheepishly handed the phone back!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • my brother in law sold an i phone on ebay, had all sorts of e mails saying it was no good, not working etc, in the end he refunded and told them to send it back. he got a lump of wood about the same size as an i phone back! luckily for him the address he sent it to was about half hour from his work, when he turned up in his uniform in a police car with a couple of other officers they sheepishly handed the phone back!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo