13»

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I see what you did there.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    First time I've watched a top flight cross race, really enjoyed it. That's my weekend viewing for next winter sorted.
  • Bloody good race. Pleased for His Royal Svenness, and also for Van der Haar making podium.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As soon a Pauwel's tranmission jammed, it was a two horse race. Nys and Klas are buddies, but they weren't giving each any concessions. Great race and a worthy champion - guess Sven won't be thinking about retirement soon?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • "@cyclingfans  Nothing but boos from crowd for Pat McQuaid on CX Worlds podium."

:lol:
  • There must be about 5 people who could win a cross race. Doesn't provide much entertainment.
    "@cyclingfans  Nothing but boos from crowd for Pat McQuaid on CX Worlds podium."

Great stuff.
    Monty Dog wrote:
    As soon a Pauwel's tranmission jammed, it was a two horse race.

Hmm, a race decided on a mechanical...just like the bronze in the ladies (not sure Lefevre should be celebrating as hard as she did given it was 150% luck).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Great race, and credit to the UCI for the free live stream on YouTube. It's about the most constructive thing they've done in years!
  • schweiz wrote:
    credit to the UCI for the free live stream on YouTube. It's about the most constructive thing they've done in years!

Check.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tumblr_mhlu5gRp0B1qcabcuo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    There must be about 5 people who could win a cross race. Doesn't provide much entertainment.

The same could be said for the Tour.
    Monty Dog wrote:

Hmm, a race decided on a mechanical...just like the bronze in the ladies (not sure Lefevre should be celebrating as hard as she did given it was 150% luck).

It's cross, mechanicals and punctures are part and parcel of the sport due to the testing nature of the conditions. All the riders know and accept it.
  • schweiz
    Can any of you 'cross experts elighten me as to why the take up of disc brakes is so low? I know there's only SRAM that have released a prototype integrated hydraulic brake shifter but I would have thought that even a mechanical brake was preferable. If not, what was all the fuss about a few years back when the UCI were being lobbied to allow disc brakes?
  • schweiz wrote:
    Great race, and credit to the UCI for the free live stream on YouTube. It's about the most constructive thing they've done in years!

Yes and it also enabled me to hear the reception Fat Pat got from the crowd

Really good race as well nice to see Nys win , only his 2nd title which surprised me , i think he was also involved in getting the race over to the USA where cross seems to be doing pretty well
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Commentary a bit dire though
  • schweiz wrote:
    Can any of you 'cross experts elighten me as to why the take up of disc brakes is so low? I know there's only SRAM that have released a prototype integrated hydraulic brake shifter but I would have thought that even a mechanical brake was preferable. If not, what was all the fuss about a few years back when the UCI were being lobbied to allow disc brakes?
    Cuz they're heavy and wire operated so can get draggy and you don't need them despite what all the C+ and BR bike reviews tell you. Those are written for regular folks on commuting bikes who get scared and beyond their skill level as they gain a bit of speed, so they make some sense. This is pro cross, they can change their bike every lap if they want, they're on a closed course with no sudden 6' drops nor trees nor cars. And they have 20 pairs of carbon hoops that would be obsolete if they moved across. And they're a bit stubborn. Plus cross is not about braking, braking slows you down, the top guys don't brake as much as fat, slow mid-packers like me are. Cross is about carving the corner better than you did last lap hence you need to modulate your speed, not stop on a dime like a 150mm travel all-mountain bike.

It's a very team Sky/US thing to 'need' the latest gizmo. JPow started the season on cantis and moved to discs. Discs are easier for manufacturers b/c with 29ers killing off 26ers they can standardize their rear wheel lacing machines for a 622 rim and a 135mm axle. Makes for simpler assembly in Malaysia. PLus you can plop a hose on to a bike in 2 seconds whereas setting up cantis with 2 wires which need to be precise lengths is more of a pain. As are adjusting canti brake pads. I dread trying to toe-in my brakes 0.5mms - I end up with a pad positiong worse then it began and I have to start again.

Plus the pros are so good they don't need it. The biggest thing in canti brakes in 2013 was that TRP went from a wide canti arm to a narrow V arm (yes I'd like some...)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Commentary a bit dire though

I listened to the Sporza guys - it felt more authentic :)
  • There must be about 5 people who could win a cross race. Doesn't provide much entertainment.
    "@cyclingfans  Nothing but boos from crowd for Pat McQuaid on CX Worlds podium."

Great stuff.
    Monty Dog wrote:

Wasn't the Tour decided on the road as such a couple of years ago? I enjoyed the race immensely great skills and such different approaches by the riders. Nys very happy to bunny hop others to dismount and carry. The French guy (not you FF) seemed content to go for longer periods when leading without changing bikes others every half lap or so.

I've watched a few races with Nys in and he always seems content to sit and wind early leaders in, no panic. I felt sorry for Pauwels, I bet he regrets the Halfords-Pinarello sponsorship now.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Monty Dog
    Pauwels chain jamming was unfortunate - Sven and Klaas were both running Di2 too, so expect it was more down to operator error. As for discs, no-one won a cross race from slowing down - the key thing is grip and getting the power down, tyre choice has a far greater impact IME than what brakes you're running.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    schweiz wrote:

Until someone makes a proper hydraulic Brake/shifter then they re always going to be a compromise. They re much more popular in the US.

Same problem with road disks, it needs doing properly!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • schweiz
    So if the brakes don't matter because cantis are perfectly good enough, what was all the hoo-hah a few years back about getting them approved?

It surely couldn't have been just a manufacturer driven thing to do with wheel building? The big 3 have been slow in getting stuff out, so I can't believe they'd have pushed it. The pros don't want/need it so they can't have pushed for it either. I just remember reading a few years ago how discs were going to revolusionise 'cross. Guess someone got it wrong!
  • ddraver
    The pros don't have a proper set to work with yet. THose that have sponsers that make disk frames and can get decent breaks tend to stick with them. Cable discs arent all that better than cantis really, the benefits of disks are all in the hydraulics. It's one of thems Catch 22/chicken and egg scenearios
    - @ddraver
  • Monty Dog
    Colnago already have the C59 Disc and expect they've built a CX version that the likes of Nys and Alberts who are sponsored riders will have tried. If Shimano were to produce a full hydro/Di2 groupset you may see more uptake.
  • Sven Nys's Colnago Prestige, next time you start worrying about your scratched carbon frame...

nys_colnago_9_670.jpg
  • When these pros line up for a cross race, can they chose to be wherever? It seems that even those in the 2nd row let alone the 5th are at a significant disadvantage?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It's dependant on their position in the rankings.
  • Ah, thanks.

The Rich get Richer sort of thing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    'tis a bit like that Frenchie to be honest yes. Same in XCO too...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    Yep, riders are seeded - it even happens at local club level now. It makes sense really as it isn't fair for a genuine challenger to lose out because they got stuck behind someone making up the numbers at the start.
  • Might be more fun if they did reversed seeding! :D