Tubeless grief!

2»

Comments

• DodgeT wrote:
    Finally add some glitter to the solution in the tyre to help plug the bigger holes.

Sure its not so that you make an impressive glittery splurge all over the trail when you burp :D

Possibly :oops: i prefer Red Glitter btw!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Look at the close up of the XM1550 tricon and I think that you'll see the ridge I'm talking about - albeit more like a smooth sided valley on the DT Swiss rims.

Oh yeah, forgot they do factory wheels. :oops:

Depends on the tyres you're using though, if you're not using a tyre with a tubeless bead a 'proper' tubeless rim like that can be a hinderance. Not relevant here admittedly.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ah! But the glitters been shown not to actually work that well, Tumble dryer fluff has been Much better!!! - seriously!!
    I made my own goo as stans whilst good was pricey in comparison, £20 for a litre, I made 3l for a tenner!

I do that, too :shock: but that's a totally different post (!), probably best kept for other forum's, too... :twisted:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pop a tube in and inflate until the beads are set into the rim. Deflate and carefully remove the tube leaving one bead seated. Try again.

I know this one's been sorted, but just in case anyone else reads it- this is the best advice in the thread, for 2 reasons. One is that obviously if it works, you're inflating half a tyre instead of two. But the other is that you find out exactly how hard it is to get the tyre onto the rim. Some combos just don't work well. If it takes huge psi to get it to pop onto the bead with a tube, then you're going to struggle with tubeless.

Some pumps are better than others... my Joe Blow is a nice bit of kit but it doesn't actually push much air. My Air Towers are cheap rubbish but the piston is far bigger, which makes things much easier with tubeless.

I think I'd be less keen on tubeless if I didn't have a decent compressor! And don't confuse the tesco tyre inflators for a compressor, they're very low pressure, worse than a track pump.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The DIY compressor coke bottle does Exactly the same as a compressor just costs you 2 valves, a bit of rubber pipe and how ever much it is for a 2L fizzy drink! Its so simple, fit tyre, remove valve core, connect piipe to valve, kink it, pump up bottle to 60psi unkink valve and Bingo, seated tyre, pop tube off, sealant in through the valve, core in, pump up and job done!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The DIY compressor coke bottle does Exactly the same as a compressor just costs you 2 valves, a bit of rubber pipe and how ever much it is for a 2L fizzy drink! Its so simple, fit tyre, remove valve core, connect piipe to valve, kink it, pump up bottle to 60psi unkink valve and Bingo, seated tyre, pop tube off, sealant in through the valve, core in, pump up and job done!

Yup. Even the most stubborn tyre can be persuaded on quite quickly with one of these widgets.