Tubeless grief!

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Is it the tyre, or the rim...
Had some OE RoRo's on DT Swiss (tubeless ready) rims.
In view of the forecast for Sunday I decided to change tyres before a race.
Off came the RoRo's and on went a XR Mud tyre.
It was an easy fit on the rim. Fooked if I can get it inflated!
The RoRo's weren't easy to inflate either, compared to my StansCrests with RoRo's.
But is it the rim, or the tyre (not used the Mud's before)?
I could hurl the lot in the friggin' bin. Boll0x to Sundays race...
Rant.
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    Been there last weekend. You have my condolences.
    All of these things....
  • hopper1
    cooldad wrote:
    Tubes.
    Yep... Another day, when I don't feel like removed all it's feckin spokes with a sledge hammer! :evil:
  • hopper1
    devbrix wrote:
    Been there last weekend. You have my condolences.
    Did you solve it?...
  • What are you using to seat the tyre? Just a normal track pump?

Is the XR you're using tubeless ready then?
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Are you using a compressor and taking the core out of the valve to maximize the volume of air getting in just for the initial tyre seating?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Diiy compressor for seating duties.! Otherwise pop to the local tire shop and borrow there compressor, _pack of cookies will help! ;-)

Ignore the philistines and the out dated tube coments! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • hopper1
    What are you using to seat the tyre? Just a normal track pump?

Is the XR you're using tubeless ready then?

It says must use sealant, or tube...
    Too cold and fooked off, to bother now... maybe during the week I'll revisit.
  • So what are you using to inflate they tyre?

As said above, a compressor, or even a home-made "pop-bottle compressor" should work. As should Co2.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your trying it in a freezing cold shed that wont help. The rubber can be too stiff to seal get it all warm and it should pop on.

Oh yes and tubes are a useful invention that could help. I tried tubeless and got hacked off with pissing about with sticky snot and compressors just to swap from a mud tyre to semi slick so after a year went back to tubes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Pop a tube in and inflate until the beads are set into the rim. Deflate and carefully remove the tube leaving one bead seated. Try again.

Check your rim tape also to make sure there are no small rips.

Warm tyres help!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have found in the past that you need to put folded tyres in initially with a tube, give it time for the fold crease to iron out. Sometimes if you don't do that the crease may hinder a nice seal.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • hopper1
    Having calmed down now, I will try again...
    First, with a CO2 bottle (as I need to test my new inflator), then with a tube...
    The tyres are warm enough, the garage is integral and not much cooler than the house :wink:
    Wish I'd have thought about the CO2 yesterday, as it would have been good to race today :roll:
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Hopper where in Norfolk are you, I've got a compressor here you could try.
  • hopper1
    WindyG wrote:
    Hopper where in Norfolk are you, I've got a compressor here you could try.

Cheers, mate, I'm in Bradwell, nr GY.
    I think I'll buy a compressor, as they don't appear to be that expensive.
    Not sure what I'm looking for, though...
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I'm in Hingham near Wymondham, I just have a cheap compressor I got from lidl for about £60 a few years ago. Offer is there anyway if you need it. Have a look at places like Machine Mart.
  • Have you tried all the little tricks, like squashing the tyre so that the bead is pushed into the rim, using plenty of washing up solution to lubricate the tyre bead and so on? Is it the initial inflation that won't hold air?
    Some good fitting tops if you watch the no tubes videos.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    wise man once say, fannying about with hand pump on tubeless tyre lead to much unhappiness

1 remove valve core, add sealant
    2 connect compressor
    3 stand back and admire the ease with which the tyre was seated
    4 pop valve core back in, re-inflate to desired psi
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did I mention tubes?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If you have faff about so much I'd rather just stick a tube in. And yes I use and love tubeless tyres. but if I can't get a tyre inflated with anything more than a bit of furious pumping then its simply not worth it.
  • I've had this problem myself. Lot's of arm pumping with no result - yep - lots of potential for spurious jokes there! I've left the door open for you :)

If you're using tubeless specific rims I believe that there is a small double ridge running along the inside of the rim, either side of the valve. If you're not - then good luck to you! I've attached a picture that illustrates it.

Presuminig you're using a Tubeless specific rim, basically, prep the tyre with sealant, squish the rim bead so that it sits fairly well on these ridges, give it a whirl to get the sealant around it and then pump like fury.

Evntually, you get that reassuring bang and the bead sits on the rim a treat. Keep pumping to the desired pressure.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you're using tubeless specific rims I believe that there is a small double ridge running along the inside of the rim, either side of the valve. If you're not - then good luck to you! I've attached a picture that illustrates it.

DT don't do UST rims, nor do they actually do 'tubeless ready' rims in a Stan's way - they've added that moniker to jump on the band wagon really! You can convert them, but IMO neither Mavic nor DT work as well as Stan's when converted, as you've found they're usually just too loose.

Personally I find Stan's better than UST as well, but YMMV.
  • Hi njee20,

Here's a few from DT: http://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels

Look at the close up of the XM1550 tricon and I think that you'll see the ridge I'm talking about - albeit more like a smooth sided valley on the DT Swiss rims.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    jairaj wrote:
    If you have faff about so much I'd rather just stick a tube in. And yes I use and love tubeless tyres. but if I can't get a tyre inflated with anything more than a bit of furious pumping then its simply not worth it.

You're welcome to stick with your furious pumping.

I will stick with my effortless coke bottle compressor.

I will stick with my effortless coke bottle compressor.

This!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • hopper1
    Shelled out on a compressor... 5 minutes after setting it up, the tyre was inflated, and the front tyre was changed out, too.
    Still think I may jump on the offer presently touted by Superstar, for another Crest/ Trizoid wheel build.
    Much more confidence inspiring :wink:

Just love that compressor, though :D
    Need to sort out a specific fitting for inflating Presta valves, though...
  • Don't use Co2 as it sends the sealant off much quicker than air, also use some of the sealant as lubricant to seat the tyre on the rims, otherwise, you can contaminate the seal and with soap and hinder its life / performance, plus it will seal the rim almost instantly. Finally add some glitter to the solution in the tyre to help plug the bigger holes.

Inflation....

Get the tyre on the rim, lube all around the edges and slowly spin the tyre by hand round the wheel to get a good coverage of lubricant solution. finally, hold the wheel in one hand so the bottom isn't squashed by the floor and pump like mad on your track pump with the other, as soon as you get to 5-10psi, you will get a good enough seal and then the rest will pop on as you hit around 40psi.

I can change a tubeless tyre in the same time I can change a tubes tyre now with a track pump, just takes a bit of practise.

Simples.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Finally add some glitter to the solution in the tyre to help plug the bigger holes.

Sure its not so that you make an impressive glittery splurge all over the trail when you burp :D
  • Ah! But the glitters been shown not to actually work that well, Tumble dryer fluff has been Much better!!! - seriously!!
    I made my own goo as stans whilst good was pricey in comparison, £20 for a litre, I made 3l for a tenner!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Hmmm, I've got XR Mud and the original Mud X on two sets of Mavic EN521 converted and they've both blown up no problem at all, both on the initial go (no latex) and then the "proper" inflation (with sealant). Kind of suggests that it's a rim problem or that you're just not getting the air in quick enough to get the seal.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris