Fixing up my 90s Raleigh Racer

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Hey,

I have a 90s Reynolds Raleigh bike that I'd like to fix up...

There are only a couple issues really... these being buckled wheels and also brakes not stopping me very well haha. Is it worth sourcing some new wheels instead of paying to get them sorted? I might try it myself again, but I did a crap job last time. Also do I need to change the brakes? Or is it likely just to be old and worn pads causing the issue?

What else would you suggest I replace on such an old bike? The seat has ripped quite bad and I need to replace the bar tape. Anyone know where I can get 'retro' looking bar tape? I think I gave it it's first ever clean yesterday. Looks great :D

Thanks
Luke

Comments

• xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Ive fixed up a few old bikes, first thing is make sure you get correct wheels size (Not sure if it applies to 90s bikes but i know some older bikes need a bit of "persuasion" to get the wheels in) Thats if you decide to change them personally i would buy an old wheelset (Or simply retro looking) but in as good condition as possible.

The brakes are probably fine but the old rubber on the brake pads normally hardens up and cracks so maybe replace them also check the wires for fraying etc.

On the bikes ive done the first thing i change is the bar tape, ive usually gone with a cinelli cork tape as it gives more of a retro look (Or if you it goes with the look of your bike some leather tape) and as for the seat im pretty fond of charge's spoon saddle but it depends on what you want really.

Have a look at on one website for some retro parts, quill stems older style bars etc.
    If everything else is in good condition just give it a good service and it should be more than ready to ride again.

Hope some of this helps, upload some pics once your done would love to see how it turns out!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fizik Microtex is pretty good as an update to the old smooth tapes.

Wheels maybe fixable - a decent LBS should be able to help. But you can still get wheels suitable for old bikes and there are no shortage second hand on Ebay (though you may need to get those trued despite what the vendor might say). New brake blocks are easy and cheap to find.

Ebay has everything you need to keep an old bike moving! Saddles are an obvious Ebay option - I got a Vetta saddle (basically a Suede Selle Turbo) for my Raleigh for under a tenner but if you want new, Planet X do the new versions of the famous Turbo for £35.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAS ... rbo_saddle
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks both for the good advice!

I'll check all that has been recommended :)

I'll post pics when I start the little project too.

Many Thanks
    Luke
  • Hey again

I think I may go for the nos selle turbo saddle. Looking around, there are great sales on nos handlebars right now. Could anyone recommend what to look for? Can I really get a decent handlebar for only a tenner? as seen in the planet x sale... Or do I get what I pay for? They have been reduced so must be decent?

Also bought cork bar tape and will be buying raleigh pedals soon too.

I'm going to try salvage my current wheels to keep the costs to a minimum!
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    This site may be of interest to you:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    The planet x parts are always good quality, i think the older style parts are old new stock. Ive never had a problem anyway. Unless its older raleigh pedals i would stay away ive had a few sets now and the bearings seize up within a couple of weeks (Even after greasing them every few days)
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Nice one guys, thanks :)

That website is useful!