What tool to break a D-lock?

2»

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Plenty of WD40 to disperse the water, then add some light oil (I use a teflon spray)...

To get rid of the current lock, a bottle jack.

I read that as "plenty of WD40 [...] and something else like WD40 but not WD40, so you have to carry two kinds of light penetrating oil but for no useful purpose".
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    I have heard about a few ways to bust a D-lock.
    Should I post what I have heard?
  • Used superglue but it didn't work and it isn't the weather to sit around outside trying alternatives, so had to cut it off in the end with an angle grinder.

Prior to that I'd also contacted OnGuard for their advice and this was their response:
    ...and if that doesn't work, you will need to cut it off.
    Once you do that, you can send the lock into us with a note explaining the issue and that you are looking for a replacement. Once we receive the lock, we will send you out a new one at no charge.

Pretty decent offer seeing as I was honest that snapping the key was my own fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plenty of WD40 to disperse the water, then add some light oil (I use a teflon spray)...

To get rid of the current lock, a bottle jack.

I read that as "plenty of WD40 [...] and something else like WD40 but not WD40, so you have to carry two kinds of light penetrating oil but for no useful purpose".
    Why do you have to carry it? if treated properly then it will last a fair while before needing it to be done again.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    Get an 8 foot scaffold pole and apply some leverage! Helps if you weigh 20 stone mind you. Does depend on how the lock is connected to the bike and how much room you have.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    Failing that, pop into Halfords or Robert Dyas and ask them for some Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil