Lands End to Dover (route & training ideas)

samv
samv Posts: 4
Hi Guys,

New to this but hopefully there is some great advice out there!

A mate and I are planning to cycle from Lands End to Dover down the south of the country over 5 days for charity (around 400 miles). The ride is in September 2013 so hopefully got plenty of time to get the miles and training in?!

Was wondering if anybody has done a similar route or has ideas for a route because we are planning from scratch and didn't want to spend hours on busy roads! As far as the training goes, we have cycled together before 25-50 miles but will obviously need to crank it up, any good tips out there for preparing physically and mentally for a long ride, we are determined to complete it as we are raising money for a charity that means a lot, but at the moment the thought of getting on the bike day after day is daunting!!

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• plet
    plet Posts: 34
    If it were me I might be tempted to go the other way. Don't underestimate the horrendousness of the hills in Devon and Cornwall. Doing Dover to Lands End you've at least had a few days to get your legs warmed up!

As for training, there's not really any alternative but to just cycle lots. Try cycling out to somewhere, stop overnight then cycle back. Should give you the confidence that you'll be able to do it.

Good luck.
  • samv
    I like the cycle out/stay and back idea!

The hills in Cornwall are a concern, we thought it best to do them when fresh but the other way is worth some thought, thanks.
  • samv
    I'm a member in a gym, just wondering if training on a bike in their is sufficient whilst conditions outside are icy and covered in snow or whether i should invest in a turbo trainer?
  • plet wrote:
    If it were me I might be tempted to go the other way. Don't underestimate the horrendousness of the hills in Devon and Cornwall. Doing Dover to Lands End you've at least had a few days to get your legs warmed up!

As for training, there's not really any alternative but to just cycle lots. Try cycling out to somewhere, stop overnight then cycle back. Should give you the confidence that you'll be able to do it.

Good luck.

I wouldn't, prevailing winds are SW. This is why most SDW rides go Winchester to Eastbourne and not the other way around.
  • plet
    plet Posts: 34
    I wouldn't, prevailing winds are SW. This is why most SDW rides go Winchester to Eastbourne and not the other way around.

The Met Office may claim SW is the prevailing direction. Sod's Law almost certainly guarantees it'll be blowing the other way ;-)