Tablet for Turbo Trainer

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
I have been contemplating getting a Tablet recently and wondered if it could run Sufferfest vids so I can use for training? Does anyone know? What about the Tacx vids or any other training vids I can watch for an hour or so?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Any tablet that will play mp4 files (so pretty much all of them) will be suitable and, even if you find one that doesn't, something like Handbrake will be fine to convert the files to the relevant format.

In short, take your pick! :wink:
  • You can run Sufferfest fine on iPad - just don't do what I did a couple of days ago - get to the end of the climb on Hunted, knackered and forget the headphone leads are plugged into the iPad sit up exhausted and pull the IPad of the stand and crack the f*** ing screen!

My best idea is to but an extentsion lead for headphones and tie it to the bars so if I do it again lead will pull on the bars not the iPad - anyway back on topic you can play Sufferfest on iPad you just have to download them to iTunes on a PC/MAc and then copy them over to the iPad and they appear in the Video file and play fine.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    You can run Sufferfest fine on iPad - just don't do what I did a couple of days ago - get to the end of the climb on Hunted, knackered and forget the headphone leads are plugged into the iPad sit up exhausted and pull the IPad of the stand and crack the f*** ing screen!

My best idea is to but an extentsion lead for headphones and tie it to the bars so if I do it again lead will pull on the bars not the iPad - anyway back on topic you can play Sufferfest on iPad you just have to download them to iTunes on a PC/MAc and then copy them over to the iPad and they appear in the Video file and play fine.

Sound advice, I pulled the small TV/DVD combo I use in the garage off the table doing exactly the same thing!

Miraculously it still works even after falling onto concrete!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I've just finished my turbo trainer set up with a new tablet - I thought I'd post here in case it helps.

I got a Microsoft Surface tablet for my birthday, just before Christmas - onto which I've got my Sufferfest videos.

The benefit of the Surface is that it has a good kickstand, so it's easy to stand it upright.

I do all my turbo training in the garage, so I quickly cobbled together using some old offcuts of wood a very basic shelf which sits on the back of the garage door, onto which I can put the Surface tablet.

To avoid the problem of yanking the tablet off the wall, I run an audio cable from the tablet's headphone socket and into quite a cheap mixing desk I happen to have had. I then run my headphones from the mixing desk. Otherwise, the headphone cable wouldn't be long enough.

I would seriously recommend the Surface - it's obviously much more of a PC than an iPad but good to watching videos etc.
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Pair the tablet with a BT headset likes these, it works extremely well:
    http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-blueto ... -free-case
  • mzm70 wrote:
    Pair the tablet with a BT headset likes these, it works extremely well:
    http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-blueto ... -free-case

That's nice may well try that once money situation is better - for the moment got a £7 extension lead from Maplin and tied it to the gars - when I pulled it to test the headphone jack pulled out and the other end to iPad didn't move.

PS - Anyone who does what I did watch out getting it repaired - I got mine done in a local place with loads of good reccomends and a claim to make it as good as new - mine is a mess - Home button doesn't work and there is dirt trapped under the glass which is v annoying - looks like I will have to get it re-done somewhere where they are more careful to clean it out first (£60) up the spout!